broken leg

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
i dont live where i have my farm so i cant check on my cattle all the time. one of my heifers had a bull calf that was really nice. about a month before it was time to sell it broke its leg to where u could see the bone. Do you think this was a freak accident or somethin wrong with the heifer. I still ended up getting over 250 for it. is any of this unusual?

Probaly not a freak accident. Accidents do happen. He brought a very good price. Sell her and replace with one due to calve this fall.

la4angus":oymkelbb said:
Probaly not a freak accident. Accidents do happen. He brought a very good price. Sell her and replace with one due to calve this fall.
Why would you sell the heifer? She raised a bull calf up 5-6 months old. Then he broke his leg. Strange? yes. The heifers fault? Doubt it.

Most likely not her fault. More likely stepped in a groundhog hole or got in a bad place with other cattle.

How could it be the heifer's fault? Don't punish her for something that happened to her calf after he was that old. We've got a good heifer that somehow cut her foot and it went down to the bone and got infected. The cut was very small and we never noticed it until it had gotten infected and was swollen. This swellling seemed to have come up almost over night. The vet had to cut down into the bone and dig the infected area out several times and we had to give her alot of meds but we saved her. However, she probably will never bring a premium price because she has a limp and one hip bone is up higher than the other. We never figured how she injured herself. She's raising a really nice bull calf and is bred back. She was already weaned when she got hurt. I can't blame her momma.

i wasnt really blaming her, in fact i really like her but i thought it was unusual for a calf to break a bone. i was just wondering if maybe she had bad makeup or something/

probably fell in some sort of hole. we have them fall in gopher (tortoise) holes from time to time. Once had half a cow buried underground from falling in a hole. eroded areas are bad for breaking legs as well.

dbc, Tammy Faye is the only one that I know has bad make-up! :)
Did you like the bull calf before he broke his leg? I would give her another chance for sure. I don't think that she had anything to do with his leg being broken. There is no telling how it happened.

i liked the bull calf a lot. he definitely would have brought me over 650, which to me is a lot of money. i guess i should be happy with what i got for him, but the extra wouldnt have hurt either.

Ive got a picture of the calf with the broken leg when he wasn't too old. ive got to wait to post it after the comp. downloads it

Here is the littel steer that broke his leg, just found a pic of him. Can't tell much but i thought he was a good looking calf.
BriansSteer1cow1.jpg

dbc":3g5hciup said:
i dont live where i have my farm so i cant check on my cattle all the time. one of my heifers had a bull calf that was really nice. about a month before it was time to sell it broke its leg to where u could see the bone. Do you think this was a freak accident or somethin wrong with the heifer. I still ended up getting over 250 for it. is any of this unusual?

If you own em crap is going to happen part of the business. I believe in culling hard but this is a little extreme.

Wonder how long the leg was broke before you found him. I believe that you're lucky to have salvaged the calf. I' rebreed the heifer if she hasn't already been and hope for better luck next season.....and check the pasture for calf traps...

Latest posts