broken bone in calf's leg

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
how long do you think it would take for a week old calf's leg to heal. the lower front leg bone is broken. i put it in a splint and he is getting around fine, but was just wondering how long to leave the splint on.

thanks

jt

I usualy leave them on for six weeks and prefer to use a solid cast rather than a splint. It's extremely important that the leg is totally immobilised so that the fracture ends aren't moving around at all. Make sure there is no pressure points within your splint/cast, that it is not too tight or too loose, and that there is no broken skin at the fracture site before you cover it up.
A poorly applied cast or splint can turn it into a horrible mess so make sure you get it right!

We cast one this year and had it on the front lower leg for 7 weeks in a small holding pen with the dam...

...after we cut the cast off we kept them in the small pen for about a week for the calf to start working the muscles again and then out into the big pasture they went.

Healed wonderfully.

We tried that cast thing. Heifer calf broke her leg. Had the vet out. He treated her and said to leave the cast on for a month. Said to smell it often and if it started to stink to have him back out. Never smelled a thing so we waited the month. What a mess when we took it off. It had rotted real bad. Ended up cutting the leg off. We're hoping to get her up to 600-700 lbs. and then we'll butcher her. Think I might be prone to take the leg off right away.

Farmhand":1vgtucp9 said:
We tried that cast thing. Heifer calf broke her leg. Had the vet out. He treated her and said to leave the cast on for a month. Said to smell it often and if it started to stink to have him back out. Never smelled a thing so we waited the month. What a mess when we took it off. It had rotted real bad. Ended up cutting the leg off. We're hoping to get her up to 600-700 lbs. and then we'll butcher her. Think I might be prone to take the leg off right away.
I would blame that on the vet. I have had them casted and they did fine. Bet he got it too snug to start with.