Broke ribs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Broke mine the day before I left on a non stop trip across country. In a full truck no less. I thought I was going to die.

backhoeboogie":1grtyume said:
Sorry CB. I'd kick your tail in dominoes if I were there. Seems neither of us are much count for anything else right now.

You heal up quick, I am an old hand at this now 3 rd time in my life.
You would win for sure . I have broke several bone's never rib's.
As sore as mine are from coughing I couldn't imagine worse unless it was pneumonia with broke rib's.
I would love to play when I am not trying to hack up a lung.
I ain't got much snap right now and I started with a deficit to begin with.

moved the herd yesterday and found a dead tree on the fence. Got it fixed but rebroke the dang ribs. Gawd I am hurting and now starting all over with the healing. Been in bed all day.

pdfangus":2kipxuxw said:
RA doc makes me get a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every four or five years.....

maybe I just been lucky but it seems to work for me...

Went for annual physical back in the fall. For the 1st time my doc recommended flu shot, pneumonia shot and a shingles shot. All have worked so far.

That's bad news. Do you have any help available until you heal ? Maybe your X will come and help out?

backhoeboogie":9dwq0d4v said:
moved the herd yesterday and found a dead tree on the fence. Got it fixed but rebroke the dang ribs. Gawd I am hurting and now starting all over with the healing. Been in bed all day.

What are we going to do with you?
Skin a frog or two until them rib's get mended.

Too dang hard to sit and do nothing. Sure as heck didn't think they were that delicate. Must have been from pulling on the fence stretcher. Used the right hand. Didn't feel anything pop but later they were rattling again and the pain set in. They split for sure. Dang! No more fence stretching for a long time.

Good grief man. Give yourself time to heal. It's been only 2 weeks since you had the accident. You don't want to mess them up so that they can't mend.
Please take care of yourself.

Chippie I am paying for that mistake and it is painful. It was bad timing to begin with and now there is more time added on. A bad deal all the way around.

Cracked and broke ribs hurt to laugh or go pooh. Good luck with your healing process.
Must be the season for injuries. Walked out of my little shop 2 nights ago, didn't have the house rear floodlights on and tripped on a steel tractor wheel we used for a fire ring when the grandkids were here. Came down hard with my left leg on the backside of the rim, and jambed 2 fingers up into my left hand trying to catch myself as I hit the ground. Had to call my wife out of the house by cell phone to turn the lights on and come help me get up. (dog wouldn't help--I think he was hoping he'd get to eat me later if I laid there long enough)
Got a cracked tibia in my left leg and "ruptured" proximal phalanges in two of my finger to hand joints on left hand. Doc says they will heal on their own, and charged me $300 for that opinion--not including X-ray costs. :???:
Had cracked ribs a long time ago--they hurt way worse and longer than my sole up hand does. Better take it easy BackhoeB.

Hey bhb, sounds like you need to start acting your age :tiphat: Hope you get to feeling better soon. I had a little bit of fun today, went to okc for a cortazone shot in the back and I plan on working this one for all it's worth...hey wife, would you please get me another cookie while you're up? :lol:

Get well, and take it easy while you're SUPPOSED to! My old man fell from an iced up haystack and broke 4 ribs... it took him quite some time to get into shape again... For myself, I've broken my hand, my foot, and my tibia just above the knee... Didn't go to the hospital for the first 2, but I have a pin and wire in my leg... that was the worse I've had.

I know it's painful, but make sure you keep taking some deep breaths, it'll help prevent pneumonia...

I went down yesterday to move the cows off of the river and back to the wheat. Only had 46 in the pasture. The rest had gotten out. Guess that fence repair that rebroke the ribs was for nothing. Got another hole somewhere. Started honking the truck horn and finally heard them bawling way off down the river. Opened the fence gap and waited. Here they came. Stampede. All the gates across the road were open but the original bunch were in the wheat with their heads down so they did not come to the truck horn - thankfully. The herd is reunited and I got the pleasure of bouncing around in the truck which was not on the agenda.

I walk the fence this weekend and find the hole. Probably up in the brush. Not going to repair it but what to know where it is. Likely another downed tree somewhere.

backhoeboogie":bmtqqm9t said:
I went down yesterday to move the cows off of the river and back to the wheat. Only had 46 in the pasture. The rest had gotten out. Guess that fence repair that rebroke the ribs was for nothing. Got another hole somewhere. Started honking the truck horn and finally heard them bawling way off down the river. Opened the fence gap and waited. Here they came. Stampede. All the gates across the road were open but the original bunch were in the wheat with their heads down so they did not come to the truck horn - thankfully. The herd is reunited and I got the pleasure of bouncing around in the truck which was not on the agenda.

I walk the fence this weekend and find the hole. Probably up in the brush. Not going to repair it but what to know where it is. Likely another downed tree somewhere.

Alright Hammerhead I am going to give you an old East Texas trick to temp repair real quick.
First since you are still hurt hire you a hand. When you find where the tree is on the fence cut the wire and pull it from under the tree. Get your hand to pull the fence back together with the stretcher and crimp it with the ferrule and cripping tool. The bottom wire's just staple to the tree. Come back when you have time and do the reapir right.
This takes about five minutes and the fence is good enough to contain cattle.
After each storm or wind I ride mine on the mule the only tools in it are the crimping, stretcher, fence pliers and staples.