Broke my hay spear......Help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Broke it clean off the quick attach. The big nut (facing the driver), holds the whole shooting match on? I backed that nut off, and tried to drive the remaining part of the spear out. Won't budge. Had about half the threads still on the bolt. Wasn't enough evidently, because I drove the nut down on the spear. I can cut the spear easy enough, but what am I missing on how the spear comes out?

its usually just a taper hole, with the nut on the backside. Most of mine are loose and turn and wiggle a bit.

You can try tipping it pointing down, and laying the penetrating fluid to it over night. Sounds like you have to cut the nut off now anyways. Cut the nut off though, don't lob the end of the spear off, you'll need it sticking up to beat down on later.

Supa Dexta":jx82iwti said:
its usually just a taper hole, with the nut on the backside. Most of mine are loose and turn and wiggle a bit.

You can try tipping it pointing down, and laying the penetrating fluid to it over night. Sounds like you have to cut the nut off now anyways. Cut the nut off though, don't lob the end of the spear off, you'll need it sticking up to beat down on later.

Thanks. I knew that was the only way out, just needed reassurance.

Beat it with a 10 pound sledge till I sweated my shirt out. Went back and hit one time, and it fell on the floor.

99% of my guys want the pin on for that very reason.
Nut loosens off and snaps at the threads.
The pin on doesn't taper down as much like the threaded spear does

Beating on the holder part (if possible) might have been easier and less damaging to the threads. Kinda like removing a tie rod, you don't beat the tie rod down, you whack the holder (knuckle) and it falls off

Can't find a tapered spear locally. I'd really like to get my little dab of hay put in the barn.

TennesseeTuxedo":1q7iq7w5 said:
How'd ya break it?

Just set a hay roll in the barn, and backed out. Noticed it wasn't there. It's sticking in the hay roll now.

I've broke a few. I've found that if you get a Genuine SHW spear from Germany that they hold up way better than the made in India/China ones.

hurleyjd":pjywph17 said:
check your local tractor supply store

I'm 99% certain that's where this one came from. My local only carries the replacement for the tarter stuff they currently carry.

Next time put a liberal amount of "never sease" on it. That's probably not spelled right. Works like a charm. Before we had the skid loader, we had a bale spear that also was pallet forks. So we were always changing back and fourth. Made it easy

Latest posts