Broke leg

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

My cousin had a steer to breaks it's leg the other day in the lot. Bone was sticking all the way thru the skin. The steer weighed about 1000 pounds. None of the slaughter houses around here would take it. It had to be put down instead and my thoughts are what a waste of beef! Do you guys have any suggestions as to what we could have done to keep from wasting all that good meat? I figured we could have slaughtered it ourselves but we have no way to freeze it or keep it cold in the Tennessee summer heat.

tnwalkingred":1fk5e4fc said:
All,

My cousin had a steer to breaks it's leg the other day in the lot. Bone was sticking all the way thru the skin. The steer weighed about 1000 pounds. None of the slaughter houses around here would take it. It had to be put down instead and my thoughts are what a waste of beef! Do you guys have any suggestions as to what we could have done to keep from wasting all that good meat? I figured we could have slaughtered it ourselves but we have no way to freeze it or keep it cold in the Tennessee summer heat.

you could have slaughtered it yourself and deboned it and packed in icechest's then delivered it to the processer and atleast had it ground into burger.

tnwalkingred":mvc3krab said:
Will a processor do that? I thought they were only allowed to process meat that they slaughtered?

I don't know about your area. around here a processer will process YOUR meat anyway you bring it to them. I would call around and see so the next time you have a different choice. I would also check small processers that do deer,hogs, goats and sheep these guys will process whatever just to make a living and prefer you to do the dirty work.

They wouldn't be able to legally process it without a vets approval. There is a small USDA inspected slaughter plant close to here that would have bought him by hanging weight, if he could walk off the trailer and into the knock box on his own, after the vet on site temped him and okayed it. If it was a fresh break and no fever he would have passed him. The smaller custom places probably wouldn't do it because legally there not supposed to without vet approval and there isn't a vet on site. You can thank the BSE scare and the governments general rules to eliminate BSE and downer cows.

Kathie in Thorp":3geuew1z said:
I don't know what part of the country you are in --- you haven'r told us. But I'd have gone w/ what MSFarm said, and tried to salvage it.

Tenn. In the first message.

Sad situation. How did the steer break the leg?

I would have ground it myself, everyone out her grinds their deer meat into hamburger. But we also have an Amish place that will come out and take care of an animal like that. My neighbor had a cow break a leg and had them out to process her. They came to her farm and killed her and then took her to the locker for processing.

We're not sure how he broke his leg. He was in a lot with about a 100 other steers so it's any ones guess. I recommended taking him to the Amish so they could slaughter him but he was concerned he couldn't keep it cold to get it to the processor and whether or not the processor would process it if it hadn't been slaughtered there. Oh well you live and learn.

I just got a call from a neighbor that they had a cow down and vet said she would be fine to eat but she was not going to get back up. So I am going to skin her out and ice chest it tonight. On a side note the vet was looking at another neighbors bull and said it looked like some nerve damage and he should eat him so they were going to load him in the trailer and when the old man went in the lot the bull flipped and stomped him and we are waiting to see if he makes it. His head hit a fence post when the bull flipped him. Say a prayer for Mr. Sikes if you get a chance.

M5farm":zz79bxae said:
I just got a call from a neighbor that they had a cow down and vet said she would be fine to eat but she was not going to get back up. So I am going to skin her out and ice chest it tonight. On a side note the vet was looking at another neighbors bull and said it looked like some nerve damage and he should eat him so they were going to load him in the trailer and when the old man went in the lot the bull flipped and stomped him and we are waiting to see if he makes it. His head hit a fence post when the bull flipped him. Say a prayer for Mr. Sikes if you get a chance.

We are fragile. Like an egg, so easy to break. I hope and pray the old man recovers.

I really hate to hear about Mr. Sikes. A cow knocked my grandfather down last year when we were trying to get her into the sweep pen. It banged and bruised him up quite a bit but luckily he was ok. I learned really quick that the best way to move crazy cows are with a horse! Needless to say as soon as she came out of the chute she went right on the trailer and off to the sale. I pray Mr. Sikes is ok.

Latest posts