Broiler Litter as Cattle Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's a new twist for you! Many of you say you don't want to feed chicken litter to your cattle. Think about a bunch of cows grazing in a pasture. Manure piles everywhere. We say it's good fertilize to grow the grass. The cows eat the grass grown from nutrients from cow manure. Seems like eating manure is eating manure whether it be cows or chickens. Just something to get you stirred up. Don't say it's not the same because the cow has to take either one and convert it to what her body needs. My wife's grandfather feeds litter every year and I have eaten some fine steaks off of some of his calves. THe idea is mainly in your head as far as what the cow eats. I would not feed litter to my own cows but only because of the pin feathers and hardware in it. That stuff can be pretty rough on a cow's digestive tract.

[email protected]

> Here's a new twist for you! Many
> of you say you don't want to feed
> chicken litter to your cattle.
> Think about a bunch of cows
> grazing in a pasture. Manure piles
> everywhere. We say it's good
> fertilize to grow the grass. The
> cows eat the grass grown from
> nutrients from cow manure. Seems
> like eating manure is eating
> manure whether it be cows or
> chickens. Just something to get
> you stirred up. Don't say it's not
> the same because the cow has to
> take either one and convert it to
> what her body needs. My wife's
> grandfather feeds litter every
> year and I have eaten some fine
> steaks off of some of his calves.
> THe idea is mainly in your head as
> far as what the cow eats. I would
> not feed litter to my own cows but
> only because of the pin feathers
> and hardware in it. That stuff can
> be pretty rough on a cow's
> digestive tract.

David I see your point,However I don't use cow manure and spread it on pastures. Mostly I don't have pastures.So we use it for other things ie; Gardens lawn etc. One reason if I had pastures is if it isn't watered down then spread it will help restablish a good crop of worms. The cattle will reinfect itself with worms. Host specfic.. As for our chicken litter it two is spread out in areas that no animals are on including humans, Its to hot for most gardens etc.

[email protected]

cindy, you should read some more on fertilisation, not the chemical one, but the real stuff. you know, cow droppings, horse sh*t and all that.

you for one would learn that soil actually benefits from that (structure, top-soil life,...). and no, you don't get more parasite-worms in your soil by spreading cow manure (correctly). just check on how we've been doing things for the last 2500 years in europe.

[email protected]

> cindy, you should read some more
> on fertilisation, not the chemical
> one, but the real stuff. you know,
> cow droppings, horse sh*t and all
> that.

> you for one would learn that soil
> actually benefits from that
> (structure, top-soil life,...).
> and no, you don't get more
> parasite-worms in your soil by
> spreading cow manure (correctly).
> just check on how we've been doing
> things for the last 2500 years in
> europe. Thanks Mike, actually I was goining off what you do for horses.That was my thinking they leave road apples big piles!! Anyway we spread them out. The cow part I am actually new to. I figgured they would infect much like horses whitch is one reason you would watch the pasture and rotate, like horses.Also for the spread of weeds from hay etc..If I was wrong thanks for setting me stright. Anyway we have no top soil to speak of so we reclaim the land with the stocks waste.In those areas I still see weeds grow just like I thought it would. This method takes time but it is worth it . Mostly I keep the pens clean for the health of the animals.Cindy

[email protected]

hen muck is far better for the soil than the stomach. However it does help to gain weight in cattle and has been used all over the world as a feed. That was a few years ago. Like every one in the farming world, here in Scotland we also look for cheap ways of making more profit, as the middle man seems to take a loins as well as the christians share! It is maore and more difficult to grow natural food simply due to the natural not being fast enough for the bank balance. However there is hope that teh general public, (who ever that might be) will vere away from multi national supemarket companies and scource thier food direct from the grower, (probably known as peasants at one time in europe)

to the dismay of the consumer cost of production has to come into the end price, however the wonderful secret that mrs joe housewife/househusband, has not realised is that, food "scored at scource" will not only be fresher, better and definitly not any more expencive than they get in the supemarket.

however due to modern people being lazy, or should i say convenience junkies, the small markets and trips to farm, will stay relativly quite. It would be fantastic to feel that the public were behind farmers, in thier endevours. It seems throught use of such nasty things as feeding hen pen to cattle and even feeding reconstituted animal meat and bone, for some consumers has almost turned them against the farmer. I avoid mentioning the BSE and other scares that have constipated the appetite of the worlds meat eaters.

any way i digress, Using hen **** as feed could be as unsavoury as using hormones, but it does happen, so the consumer has a choice, go with it or out scource it. As individuals we all chose what we do with out cattle, which is great as some of us do chose a more natural approach. Howevr its not our place to get on the backs of the guys and gals who use "modern methods". Im sure if it was that bad it wouldnt sell, and why would any governments condone or even endorse the use of such things as hen sh* and hormones, unless they dont really know the concequences, when they grant permission.

here i use a magnet or 20 on water. For the cattle and the sheep, infact on the humans too. guess what were all the better for it. Cows giving more milk, with better fertility, and much fewer foot problems. Sheep when housed, are much cleaner, and also there are a lot more fluids around when lambing, making birthing very easy. If i was to say that the sheep had a shine to them when in doors, many of u would assume that this wee scotman had been at the whisky bottle. Not so, its how i see it when i peruse the ewes, ands its the only way i can tell it. teh wonderful thing about this device is that it is totally natural, only thing is that man has only recently discovered what majic magnets can do.

ask any one with an irrigation or hydroponic farming system what magnets do for them :)

Do any of your american readers use magnets on thier water supplies....? i look forward to the replies

[email protected]

> Sorry, had a "brain
> fart" -- Urea is non-protein
> nitrogen (NPN), (and I still don't
> feed it).

> According to everything I've read,
> urea is quite risky to feed and
> the user must have a good
> understanding of its utilization
> and limitations, and follow the
> feeding guidelines.

> #1 Animals less than 1 year old
> and those that are sick should not
> be given urea. #2 Energy feeds
> must be adequate. #3 Urea intake
> must be controlled. #4 An
> adaptation period must be
> provided.

NPN can also be important for preventing kidney stones in steers. Properly formulated finishing rations frequently result in high ph urine. Kidney stones then cause blockage and result in the very unpleasant condition commonly caused "water belly".

Latest posts