Broccoli Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
The broccoli looks like it might be the only thing that produces very much in this year's garden. Anybody have any good and easy recipes for it? A soup recipe would be much appreciated!

Broccoli is good for so many things. We like it steamed, still with a little crunch to it, a little cheese drizzeled on the top, with a little seasoned salt. Broccoli soup is also a good thing.

Broccoli is something that could be eaten every day.........

Stir-fry beef & broccoli. Sorry, no exact recipe. Steak sliced thin across the grain, fresh broccoli, garlic, onion, and we like mushrooms in it. The sauce is beef broth, about a cup, with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in it and a generous squirt of both soy and wooster sauce. It goes in at the end.

Was given this recipe almost 20 years ago at my sisters wedding. My family is not too crazy about broccoli so I don't make it very often.

1c. minute rice
1 med. size jar velvetta cheese
1 can cream of chicken
1 head of broccoli, chopped

Mix all ingredients together, I will add some water just to make sure the rice is not hard. I normally just "eye" it. :)
Put in a medium size casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Since I'm late on this, perhaps you can try this next year.

Broccoli Salad

1 cup mayo (my fav brand is Miracle Whip and that's what I use)
1/4 tsp vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 small onions, sliced
1 bunch broccoli
1/2 pound bacon
1/2 cup raisins

Mix all together. For a large crowd recipe only double mayo and sugar.

You can do as ILH suggests, but add cut up or canned chicken, this way it is a hotdish and not a side dish. A bunch of chicken. Also, if you want, the last 15 minutes it cooks take the foil off and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. I add as much water as I do rice (using minute rice too), equal amounts and it does not turn out soupy. You can add as much broccoli and/or chicken as you want.

As for broccoli soup, I've tried this and its really good. I've also added a can of mushroom soup to the recipe (simply because I like bits of mushroom and extra cheese). I also grind a stalk of celery and add to it. Many times, I don't have cheddar on hand so I use American cheese............ this is really a simple recipe and you can tweak to your own tastes.

http://www.chguenther.com/ConsumerBrand ... spx?id=711

Try this one, it is as close as I can find what I make , I don't add nutmeg, use leaks instead of onions and also use sharp cheddar. Switch frozen broccoli for fresh.

sunny Ingredients
•3-tbsp unsalted butter, plus 2-tbspn cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
•1-cup yellow onions , sliced
•1/2-tspn salt
•1/4-tspn black pepper*
•Pinch of nutmeg
•1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic*
•1/4-cup dried crushed thyme*
•3-tbspn all-purpose flour
•3-cups of chicken broth
•2(10-oz)packages frozen chopped broccoli*
•1/2-cup heavy cream
•1 1/4-cups freshly shredded mild cheddar cheese
•Croutons, to garnish

Directions
1.Melt 3-tbspn butter in medium sized pot. Add the onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook stirring, until fragrant - about 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, a food processor or a contour top blender. Return to the pot and add the cram and bring to a bare simmer. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Add the remaining 2-tbspn of cold butter, stirring to blend. Ladle into bowl and serve. Sprinkle with croutons , if desired.

dun":147eu51f said:
Better yet is to just feed it to the pigs!

I was going to suggest Roundup, but since everyone else started posting recipes I thought I'd better keep mum.

Fry it! Use onion ring batter or tempura batter,cut the broccoli into small pieces,dip and deep fry. Serve with cheese dip or ranch dressing.

Broccoli cheese bake

- cover pan with broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- dump in a can of cream of broccoli soup
- cover entire pan with 1/4" thick velveta slices
- cover velveta with mashed cheez-its

-- the kids will eat it this way, we have to make the recipe every Thanksgiving and every Christmas

Latest posts