Broadway

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pba64ha said:
I totally understand needing the cattle docile. I, also, am up there in age (71), but no matter what age, life is much more pleasant when you don't have to run after them or watch your back. I have culled/shipped some real high pedigree good looking cows because I could not trust them after they were turned out with their calf. If a cow is defensive while she is penned up with her newborn, that's fine. She's being a mom, but when I open the gate & turn her out, she best not look at me cross-eyed or she becomes someones lunch.

We are much alike in our preferences for cattle. I had the chance to buy 3 different Hereford bulls a year ago that were very good. In one instance there was 2 left out of 28 yearlings and then some fall weanlings in with them. They looked very good from the road so wondered why they hadn't sold. As soon as I walked in them small pasture they went to the other side while the weanlings continued to eat grass. I just turned around and left. The same with the other one. All 3 were very good bulls but there was a reason they hadn't sold. And to us structural soundness and docility are 2 things we look at first. I like a cow that is a caretaker as we have coyote issues here. But don't want one that is hard to handle or will get you after the calf is a few weeks old. The old Brangus cows she had and still has two were very defensive when they had calves. One whose daughter we have butted the grill guard on the feed pu on time when she thought we were getting too close. But after 7-10 days she would bring her baby up and was easy to handle. Never had to worry about her calf being coyote dinner.

Latest posts