Broadcasting into Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
I had grand plans to use my buddy's no-till drill to plant some ryegrass into my pasture. Well, he sold it... some buddy. Has anyone had any experience just broadcasting ryegrass into a pasture? It has been eaten down to nothing, but not sure about soil contact. Maybe burn it off... maybe drag the field...

My winter grazing will be bottom plowed March 1, and I'm looking to have a good stand of ryegrass in the pasture to get by until the Bermuda takes over.

We flew it in the woods and pastures for years and if you get a good rain and it holds some moisture it will germinate and come up fine. a pasture drag will help with contact if you want to do it but if its pretty low you should be fine. now it wont do much till late feb and march but will grow well then

We have had great success just slinging it on short mowed or grazed pasture. A good hard rain will work it Into the soil and it come up thick. We seed 30 lbs per acre. Good luck

I put out 50 lbs to the acre on 7 acres every year for my heifers .. I don't even take the heifers off the pasture .. broadcast it in Bermuda that's about 6 to 8 inches tall ..

Same out my way. Have never tilled the ground first. Only put out 300 lbs this year. Let last years crop seed out so I expect it will pop up again this year in the areas not seeded this year. Out here its the most economical way to go. If mother nature cooperates, the clovers will come in on their own.

Same here. The key is to quickly get rain on it enough for germination, then moisture again to keep the little shoots from dying out. I slung out 700# this year and probably lost 1/2 that in a very dry November.
I just sling it from a cone spreader. I try to keep the cows off as much as I can till it gets established good--they tend to pull up the young shoots by the roots.

I usually wait until we have a good chance of rain .. I planted my ryegrass the week of Thanksgiving.. I have it mixed with fertilizer and spread it out .. 2 inches of rain the next day and now it's pretty and green .. only problem now is getting in the field to fertilize it again ..

Weather liars gave us a 80+ percent chance of rain 3 days in a row the week I broadcast mine--it didn't happen--mighta got 10 drops.

Get any last night.....dog's bowl of water is ice this morning.

Looks like the wind peaked at 32 last night.

greybeard":1qzf1lj5 said:
Weather liars gave us a 80+ percent chance of rain 3 days in a row the week I broadcast mine--it didn't happen--mighta got 10 drops.
They seem to do that to us alot .. how did the grass turn out once it rained ?

Spotty and growing slow. Birds and ants got lots of the seed i guess--or the heavy morning dew was enough to germinate the seed but not enough for it to put down any root.

rockroadseminole":39y6ouen said:
I had grand plans to use my buddy's no-till drill to plant some ryegrass into my pasture. Well, he sold it... some buddy. Has anyone had any experience just broadcasting ryegrass into a pasture? It has been eaten down to nothing, but not sure about soil contact. Maybe burn it off... maybe drag the field...

My winter grazing will be bottom plowed March 1, and I'm looking to have a good stand of ryegrass in the pasture to get by until the Bermuda takes over.

Don't listen to these old booger pushers, it will never work. :lol2:

Latest posts