Broadcasting corn

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I have about 15 acres I want to plant in corn for the deer this spring. I dont have a planter and was wondering if anyone had tried broadcasting corn? What would be a fair price to pay someone to plant 15 acres with a planter? I would disk all they would have to do is plant.

If yuou're already planning on disking it, just broadcast the corn and drag it in 2 directions crosswise to each other.

Corn does real poorly when broadcasted. As far as making grain. Corn cannot compete with weeds and grasses. You could use herbicide. The best results would be to plant rows, fertilize, herbicide. A little rain and you'll have deer feed.

I would say plant wheat if you just want to broadcast. Allyou have to do is scratch up the surface, and plant. We did that in several plots around where we hunt for a few years, worked great. Save the corn for putting out in a few piles about a week or so before deer season. Makes for some tasty deer meat... (corn fed deer) :clap:

We've done corn and we've done milo. I prefer milo. The coons don;t get in it and strip it like they will corn. The deer really seem to like the seedheads even after it's ripe.

Corn cost me $350/acre to plant. I had some custom work done for 80 acres and I fertilized for 150 bushel /acre. Fifteen acres of corn is a lot of corn for deer. You might just want to do a smaller portion.

Here are some costs

Planting $30/acre
Seed $60/acre
Spraying $6/acre
Herbicide $36/acre
Fertilizing $6/acre
Fertilizer $160/acre
Trucking & Harvesting - The rest

I have broadcast corn for wildlife plots and have had no problem but 15 acres is alot I usually only plant 2 or 3
Disc it good and then drag it like Dun said or if you have a finish disc,disc it cross way from the way you did before you seeded it and it should work fine

denoginnizer":3qw0uyeq said:
I have about 15 acres I want to plant in corn for the deer this spring. I dont have a planter and was wondering if anyone had tried broadcasting corn? What would be a fair price to pay someone to plant 15 acres with a planter? I would disk all they would have to do is plant.
15 acres of corn planting would take about 50 minutes with a 4 row planter so fix the guy dinner and call it a day. or better yet ease on across the Georgia line and pick up a Farmer and Consumers Market Bulletin and look under farm machinery and pick up a tool bar for nothing and slap 4 old JD71 planters on there and get after it.

Another idea is to go look at this machine -- we have one and it is awesome > Plant-o-vator designed by a guy at Mississippi State Univ..... and they have a lot of info on this piece of equipment.. ya ever get a great Corn stand planted in the same pasture with 30 year old bahai grass? we do yearly..... hope that helps.

T

I must really be doing something wrong if it is only supposed to take 50 minutes to plant 15 acres with a 4 row planter. Maybe I just need bigger seed and fertilizer boxes, and then shift up a couple gears? I drive way faster cutting hay than planting and I can't cover ground that quick.

ChrisB":46ird9cc said:
I must really be doing something wrong if it is only supposed to take 50 minutes to plant 15 acres with a 4 row planter. Maybe I just need bigger seed and fertilizer boxes, and then shift up a couple gears? I drive way faster cutting hay than planting and I can't cover ground that quick.

You must not be a top hand :(

mnmtranching":3tuwaxvz said:
Corn does real poorly when broadcasted. As far as making grain. Corn cannot compete with weeds and grasses. You could use herbicide. The best results would be to plant rows, fertilize, herbicide. A little rain and you'll have deer feed.

Planting corn etc... with a grain drill and then spraying with pre emergance is an option on clean ground.

ChrisB":bmbw72ln said:
I figure about 2-3 acres per hr but then again I am not a top hand either

Maybe rig it with a GPS, might take 50 minutes to get her set up going in a circle. When she gets to the middle have it shut the tractor off. Piece of cake. ;-) :lol:

denoginnizer":ahvv5wjf said:

Well I am not a top hand and I have never managed to seed anything down at the rate of 15 acres an hour unless pulling a 60/12 Concord air seeder - but I do know what you can broadcast that deer like.

Soy beans. The weather and your envoironment might be an issue though.

Do not know if it grows well in your area because it does like a cooler weather - but the whitetail love it in Canada. It broadcasts well and it catches pretty decent if you heay disc it once and roll it - and then get a rain.

Oats and wheat are the same.

But in all cases you need some rain - because usually we plant it around 3 inches deep when we run it into the ground with a drill.

Deer knock the heck out of it up here - I would just get some bin run and try it.

Heck divide the field into four and try beans, wheat, oats and corn - now you know what works best.

I would bet you your local ag rep could tell you for sure

Just an option I thought of while reading your post.

Merry Christmas

Bez+

Angus Cowman":189ym4lc said:
1982vett":189ym4lc said:
Maybe rig it with a GPS, might take 50 minutes to get her set up going in a circle. When she gets to the middle have it shut the tractor off. Piece of cake. ;-) :lol:
do ya just leave the tractor and planter there til next yr or what
I guess then you just put on the corn chopper and run around in circles the other way till it's all cut

:lol: Well I don't know but I think I would want to take better care of my antique equipment better than that. But I guess you could "teach" it to come home for next year. :nod:

15 acres takes no time at all --- what is your problems planting at 3 mph --thats silly and no need for a deer plot
try to read between the lines, so I dont have to explain every single little problem you see. But then I forget ppl in other places work at a snails pace when they dont have a lot to do -- or just new to tractor implement operations

Anyway 15 acres in bama would be worth about a sit down dinner on the tailgate.....
T

Latest posts