Broadcasting clover into Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Anyone done that with good luck? Thinking about lightly broadcasting clover into a 25 acre Bermuda pasture for some winter grazing and maybe it'll give the Bermuda a little bump next year. Whatcha think?

Would be throwing rye grass in there also. Any seed rates y'all have used successfully would be helpful.

As with overseeding ryegrass, your Bermuda needs to be grazed or cut short.

If I were to pasture drill ryegrass and clover into my Bermuda, I'd go with 10 lbs of ryegrass. Clover rate would depend on variety. Since I'd be overseeding I'd seed at roughly 25% of the recommended rate for a pure stand. Broadcast maybe about 35%. I don't want a whole lot of competition come spring.

1982vett":3splqfte said:

If I were to pasture drill ryegrass and clover into my Bermuda, I'd go with 10 lbs of ryegrass. Clover rate would depend on variety. Since I'd be overseeding I'd seed at roughly 25% of the recommended rate for a pure stand. Broadcast maybe about 35%. I don't want a whole lot of competition come spring.
That's the info I was looking for! The only clover I have any experience with is crimson, but it really comes on strong in the spring time. Might smother grass? What clover do you recommend for sandy type soil?

White clover does well in my sandy acid soils. Clovers being annuals and hard seeded are very adapted to fighting their way through existing grasses and the hard seed means there will be some left for next season if the season fails and it doesn't get to flower.

Ken

wbvs58":3unhmwkt said:
White clover does well in my sandy acid soils. Clovers being annuals and hard seeded are very adapted to fighting their way through existing grasses and the hard seed means there will be some left for next season if the season fails and it doesn't get to flower.

Ken
White clover, any specific type?

5S Cattle":rr31kshz said:
1982vett":rr31kshz said:

That's the info I was looking for! The only clover I have any experience with is crimson, but it really comes on strong in the spring time. Might smother grass? What clover do you recommend for sandy type soil?
Clover and ryegrass both can smother out your warm season grasses if not grazed or cut for hay before they blow over. I've seen someone mighty pretty Ball clover on some sandy loam. Earlier this year, Jogee posted some pictures of his hip deep Arrowleaf clover.

The varieties I have access to probably won't mean much to you, I use Haifa white clover. I believe you have Durana there which I have sampled and it seems to hang on well and produce good feed.

Ken

I like crimson clover because it matures earlier and transitions out of the way for my bermuda and bahia pastures. Clovers are pretty specific. Considering you mentioned sandy soils, crimson would be a good choice. I know a lot of people like arrowleaf clover because it produces more tonnage, but my personal experience with it is that it hangs on too long into the spring. White clovers work well especially in bottom land situations.

Would Bermuda not smother clover out pretty quick. Assuming it even comes up?

Maybe if it were grazed to the ground prior to seeding.

We have bermuda in places. Thickest grass i have ever seen. Very little grows through it.

From here on til April, Bermuda growth is greatly reduced by cooler temps and shorter days so if your pastures aren't overgrown when seedlings emerge the Bermuda isn't likely going to be a problem.

Well, broadcast 300 lbs of crimson, and 250 lbs of rye grass into a 20 acre Bermuda/dallisgrass pasture right before a decent rain. Its probably taller than y'all would have liked but we'll see how it goes. Left the cows in to stomp the seeds in a bit.