Broadcasting Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I got about 30 acres of newer ground planted heavily in ryegrass this fall. Because of the summer drought, and uncertainty about my hay supply, I'm probably going to be depending on this ryegrass pretty heavily come March and April. I'm curious if anybody has any experience with overseeding the ryegrass with Bermuda seed (broadcasting) before I start grazing the ryegrass. Allowing some hoof action. Hulled or unhulled? What about clover? What other type seed/seeding methods could I use to get a head start on spring/summer forage as they whittle away at the ryegrass. I'm in west central Arkansas

I don't think you would gain anything by broadcasting bermuda in standing ryegrass even with grazing action. If I recall correctly, the average ground tempeture needs to be about 65 degrees for bermuda to germinate. This would occur in you area about early May by which time the ryregrass would be about done. If it were me I would graze it as heavy as I could in Mar & April then bale it if I had to in order to get it of the field. Apply P & K according to soil test. Early May disk up a good seedbed, roll it to firm it up, broadcast bermuda seed, roll it again to press seed into soil and pray for rain to keep the soil moist for a couple of weeks. When a good stand appears hit it with some N. Actually I would broadcast spriggs with a manure spreader and establish a hybrid stand. You will get twice the production. Just disk them in about 1-2 inches deep before the final roll. Then spray with Karmex. In your area I would look for Ozark, Midland 99, or Tifton 44 varieties because of their cold tolerence. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ouachita":30tzsz2v said:
I got about 30 acres of newer ground planted heavily in ryegrass this fall. Because of the summer drought, and uncertainty about my hay supply, I'm probably going to be depending on this ryegrass pretty heavily come March and April. I'm curious if anybody has any experience with overseeding the ryegrass with Bermuda seed (broadcasting) before I start grazing the ryegrass. Allowing some hoof action. Hulled or unhulled? What about clover? What other type seed/seeding methods could I use to get a head start on spring/summer forage as they whittle away at the ryegrass. I'm in west central Arkansas

I have planted in our "winter" be sure to use unhulled as hulled will not survive the winter if you decide to plant.

Thanks mid south, CB, and red bull.

Red Bull, I see you're from N AR. What do you think about my idea for overseeding the ryegrass before I start grazing? And what is the earliest you've seeded bermuda?

I'm already aware my idea will not render the best (probably not anywhere near best) germination%. And I know bermuda is an expensive seed. I'm looking for the best way to have some forage coming on (on this new ground) as soon as possible, even if its not under ideal circumstances. Kind of desparate times call for desparate measures. It ain't desparate yet, and may noy get that way, I'm trying to think ahead

Ouachita":1mpowb3k said:
Thanks mid south, CB, and red bull.

Red Bull, I see you're from N AR. What do you think about my idea for overseeding the ryegrass before I start grazing? And what is the earliest you've seeded bermuda?

I'm already aware my idea will not render the best (probably not anywhere near best) germination%. And I know bermuda is an expensive seed. I'm looking for the best way to have some forage coming on (on this new ground) as soon as possible, even if its not under ideal circumstances. Kind of desparate times call for desparate measures. It ain't desparate yet, and may noy get that way, I'm trying to think ahead
remember bermuda doesn't like shade.......and rye has a growth characteristic of ???? ;-)
not to mention bermuda seedlings won't take to the trampling of the cows keeping the rye short. but if you don't get a shower every few days after germination to keep the top of the ground moist for a few weeks (or months), none of the above worries will make a difference.... just saying.....

I wouldn't plant now. Have you thought about grazing/haying the rye to the ground then working it up and planting it crabgrass or Peral Millett? Or working it up and going with a hybrid bermuda? If I didn't do any of that I would just sow the common Bermuda into the standing rye in late April or May, I have done that in wheat and gotten great stands but it does take a rain.

jedstivers":1pm9gg0e said:
I wouldn't plant now. Have you thought about grazing/haying the rye to the ground then working it up and planting it crabgrass or Peral Millett? Or working it up and going with a hybrid bermuda? If I didn't do any of that I would just sow the common Bermuda into the standing rye in late April or May, I have done that in wheat and gotten great stands but it does take a rain.

Thanks for the ideas jed. I had no intention of planting now. I was thinking of broadcast immediately before grazing the ryegrass, but I see where waiting till april or may be better. Never planted millet. When can it be planted, and what are the primary benefits?

Common bermuda seed is not all that costly. I have scattered the unhulled common along with fescue in the fall and winter it does alright.

jedstivers":5m5koufi said:
Millett can be planted when the others are, late April till mid June. Do a search on here, tons of info. It's great to graze or hay, just takes a conditioner to be able to bale it.
...and rain :deadhorse: to grow it :D

Over the last couple of years I've planted mine using the gizmo pictured below. Sure has cut a lot of time and labor off the process.

100_1919.jpg

Thanks for the info and opinions. It's got me thinking.
I should have better explained what my goal is; and this is it...
1. This is new ground. I want something more desireable than native grasses coming up behind the ryegrass, as soon as possible.
2. I wanted to know if I would be wasting my money doing what I said in my original post.
3. I'm learning, and I know education (and experience) cost money. Thats why I'm asking. (thanks to all for your info)
I think I have gathered enough information from ya'll that I'm going to rotational graze the ryegrass in 10 or 12 electric wired off paddocks, starting ?????? whenever it looks the right time to start. I'm thinking mid Feb/early March (thinking). After the cattle get the rye eaten down to 4-5 inches in each location, I'll broadcast my seed, one paddock at a time, as weather conditions allow. AND, see what happens

I've got some other ground the cattle are grazing now (doing cleanup), that I think I'll save fore the millet. They will be off of that by Christmas, and I've got lime to add to that. That'll give me time to break up the patties, light disc, soil test for whatever else it needs and etc.

Make sure you have those cows on a good mineral program that includes magnesium before turning them loose on the Rye grass this spring especially if you hit the Rye with another dose of nitrogen..

whitewing":3cb160hv said:
Over the last couple of years I've planted mine using the gizmo pictured below. Sure has cut a lot of time and labor off the process.

100_1919.jpg

That's a fantastic gizmo WW! Planting 'tops' is the way to go but it's usually done with a lot of warm weather ahead for us. I hired a small team to plant mine a few years ago and they had a home-built tops flinger like yours but the rotary part consisted of welded rebar lengths that were horizontal to the rotating shaft. It was wheel driven and worked very well! After the tops were spread out, they were run over with a light discing and then packed with a roller. Then it was all about doing the proper rain dance to get it to sprout at the nodes.

As to the main topic of spreading bermuda seed before the onset of winter? Doesn't make sense to me. Might as well wait until Spring when it has a chance of coming up.