Broadcast Medium Red Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

The thing that I have found to have the greatest effect on clover is getting the PH higher. Seems that I didn't have good luck with the clover until I got the PH correct no matter if frost seeded or drilled.
I do think your plan is good and as noted dark moon of February is the time to do it.
Have you tried the good lespedeza, Kenny? It thrives here on hillsides.

What so you consider being the good?

I didn't sow it, but I'm 99% sure it is Kobe Lespedeza. It doesn't get tall, comparable to common white clover I would say. If the cool seasons get gnawed down in time it'll be thick as carpet. Critters seem to love it.

Grows well with Dallas grass here.

I didn't sow it, but I'm 99% sure it is Kobe Lespedeza. It doesn't get tall, comparable to common white clover I would say. If the cool seasons get gnawed down in time it'll be thick as carpet. Critters seem to love it.

Grows well with Dallas grass here.

It's great for wildlife and for hay and might work in rotational grazing. Cows usually don't give it a chance. They do like it.

My main concern now is paddocks that have 90% fescue and that is where the red clover should help the most. One pasture had cows panting open mouth with some froth so we arent going back there until January when the toxicity should be mostly gone. Ill seed that paddock a little heavier before we get there and maybe spring will balance it out.
Maybe, but the grass sod would get stronger if you rested it during the growing season.

Maybe, but the grass sod would get stronger if you rested it during the growing season.
We are generally on this paddock for 4 days with 60-90 days rest between. I don't think anything could use much more than that.

Latest posts