Bro. Dun, What protocol do you use to get 90% of cows AId?

Help Support CattleToday:

Natural heat cycles. No drugs.

Knowing what your doing and getting everything placed in the right spot.

rgv4":1tnff004 said:

1 straw of semen per heat? 12 hours after standing? one of the "great breeders" you listed in another thread breeds them 3 times. once during heat, 6 hours later & 6 hours after that. is your protocol similar?

1 straw of semen per heat? 12 hours after standing? one of the "great breeders" you listed in another thread breeds them 3 times. once during heat, 6 hours later & 6 hours after that. is your protocol similar?

Breeding like this can get expencive quick if you are breeding a bunch of cattle.

txag":11od7bvf said:
rgv4":11od7bvf said:

I use 1 straw, 10 to 12 hours after I see standing heat.

Didn't I say that I knew someone that did that, not that I did it. Everyone to his own way of doing things.

rgv4":3tm9vmnl said:
I use 1 straw, 10 to 12 hours after I see standing heat.

Didn't I say that I knew someone that did that, not that I did it. Everyone to his own way of doing things.

no, you never said you did it & you never said they did either. i know the breeder & know their operation.

btw, those are good conception rates. how many do you a.i. per year?

rgv4":1pb8vo8q said:

That's exactly the way we do it.

12 hours after observed (or recognized by behaviour), 1 unit. But we use all CSS certified semen and that can also make a difference. We had one that didn't settle, but we didn't try to breed her again either. She was on the possible cull list and she had a knot on her cervix the size of a walnut. We also had one that missed a heat then came back in.
We also don't use expensive semen. It runs 12-20 a straw.

When we breed for other people with them doing the observations we only run around 87% first service conceptions.

dun

one of the "great breeders" you listed in another thread breeds them 3 times. once during heat, 6 hours later & 6 hours after that.[/quote]

Txag,

Since you have "great breeders" in quotations are you saying that since they AI this way, they don't have good cattle or is not a good ranch?

I am reading it that they are just making sure that they get the cows bred on that heat cycle. How do you AI cattle? How many have you done? What's you accuracy percentage?

mobetter11":2lgckupk said:
Txag,

Since you have "great breeders" in quotations are you saying that since they AI this way, they don't have good cattle or is not a good ranch?

I am reading it that they are just making sure that they get the cows bred on that heat cycle. How do you AI cattle? How many have you done? What's you accuracy percentage?

i put "great breeders" in quotes because there was a thread about "great breeders" in texas & i was talking about one of the ones rgv4 listed.

i'm also reading it that they're making sure they get their cows settled but i think it's a little excessive & way more handling & management than is needed and like showmom said, can get really expensive. even embryologists usually only a.i. twice, not 3 times! i'd hope that anyone breeding 3 times would have really high conception rates.

the majority of the time i a.i. as dun & rgv4 said they a.i........once, 12 hours after standing heat. sometimes w/my schedule it's not always exactly 12 hours & even on occasion we've bred them at the end of a standing heat if i'm not gonna be around 12 hours later. we've had success doing it this way as well but not as good as waiting the 12 hours. if i only count the cows i breed at the right time, my percentage is probably up around 90. if you add the early breeders, it probably drops to 75-80. you may want to check, but i never claimed to have overly high percentage rates. unfortunately i'm not lucky enough to be home 24/7 so we settle for what we can get.

dun":1caje825 said:
rgv4":1caje825 said:

That's exactly the way we do it.

12 hours after observed (or recognized by behaviour), 1 unit. But we use all CSS certified semen and that can also make a difference. We had one that didn't settle, but we didn't try to breed her again either. She was on the possible cull list and she had a knot on her cervix the size of a walnut. We also had one that missed a heat then came back in.
We also don't use expensive semen. It runs 12-20 a straw.

When we breed for other people with them doing the observations we only run around 87% first service conceptions.

dun
I have obviously missed some large part of this conversation. I would think though Dun your management would have a greater difference than the 95% conception rate you get on your place to the 87% at the neighbors , especially on fescue. 8% ?

ollie":14jnq17g said:
I would think though Dun your management would have a greater difference than the 95% conception rate you get on your place to the 87% at the neighbors , especially on fescue. 8% ?

I'm not sure I understand the question, if it is a question. The cows I breed for others are obviously cycling, we all have fescue, even the dairys graze fescue. I think the 8% you mentioned is more a property of heat detection and cattle being calner or less excitable. The dairys really hurt the average too, usually they only have me breed if their bull hasn't been able to get the job done. It alwasy surprises me whrn I get one to settle that the bull couldn't, but I think that's just a case of "Even a blind hog finds an acorn ones in a while".

dun

dun":1m4pw0i9 said:
ollie":1m4pw0i9 said:
I would think though Dun your management would have a greater difference than the 95% conception rate you get on your place to the 87% at the neighbors , especially on fescue. 8% ?

The dairys really hurt the average too, usually they only have me breed if their bull hasn't been able to get the job done. dun

What an interesting concept.
Most of the cattle people, beef and dairy, that I have known or been familar with or have read about, use a clean up bull after the AI tech hasn't gotten the job done.
This is the first time that I have heard of using a clean up AI Tech after the bull couldn't get the job done

la4angus":2pjcfxof said:
dun":2pjcfxof said:
ollie":2pjcfxof said:

The dairys really hurt the average too, usually they only have me breed if their bull hasn't been able to get the job done. dun

Most of the cattle people, beef and dairy, that I have known or been familar with or have read about, use a clean up bull after the AI tech hasn't gotten the job done.
This is the first time that I have heard of using a clean up AI Tech after the bull couldn't get the job done

I don't claim to understand it either. One of the dairys will sometimes have me a breed a cow that is still running with the bull. I'll never understand dairyfolk, or anybody else for that matter.

dun

dun":3eyyygkg said:
ollie":3eyyygkg said:

I'm not sure I understand the question, if it is a question. The cows I breed for others are obviously cycling, we all have fescue, even the dairys graze fescue. I think the 8% you mentioned is more a property of heat detection and cattle being calner or less excitable. The dairys really hurt the average too, usually they only have me breed if their bull hasn't been able to get the job done. It alwasy surprises me whrn I get one to settle that the bull couldn't, but I think that's just a case of "Even a blind hog finds an acorn ones in a while".

dun
Does every farm you breed cows on utilize rotational grazing? Does every farm cull all the heifers after their second A.I. attempt?I am just saying I think your management practices and mineral/health practices sound more than 8% better than any neighbor of mine.

dun":3uxk1mrm said:
la4angus":3uxk1mrm said:
dun":3uxk1mrm said:
ollie":3uxk1mrm said:

One of the dairys will sometimes have me a breed a cow that is still running with the bull.

dun
:D Now I get it .

ollie":ue0f2cex said:
dun":ue0f2cex said:
ollie":ue0f2cex said:

dun
Does every farm you breed cows on utilize rotational grazing? Does every farm cull all the heifers after their second A.I. attempt?I am just saying I think your management practices and mineral/health practices sound more than 8% better than any neighbor of mine.

Of the beef herds they practice MIG but tend to let a miss slip till the next calving season, i.e. fall to spring-spring to fall. The dairys keep breeding a cow until she goes dry, some of them even then run them with a bull and hope they'll get bred. One dairy uses MIG the others feed a TMR. The beef people that use AI are those that are willing to make a commitment in herd improvement. We have a majority of herds that run a bull and just sell calves a they get big enough. A few run a bull and can't tell you when a cow calved, how many she's had, etc.
What I think I'm trying to say is that in the beef community, those that want to use AI also manage their herds at a more intense level then just an average jow/jane.

dun