Bro. Dun, What protocol do you use to get 90% of cows AId?

Help Support CattleToday:

We get good/excellent results and we don't even do the AI, we observe the heat and call the ai tech. With the complications of calling someone else and getting it done in everyone schedule (including the cow), we get great results, imo, 6 calfs (7 services) in 3yrs with 2 cows. I have no doubt that if we had the tank and training we could do better with more cows and count on it..since we have increased the cow herd since then, and a couple natural service calves from them.

We use no products to induce heat. We do not have an expensive chute and sometimes i wish we did. We'd like to have a good bull but AI has been the most practical solution and much less expensive. We also get good quality from the breeding--we breed for beef/meat. We raised bought feeders also ...the yield better with the ai.

As far as technique..if standing in evening..breed next day by noon.usually we see the stand around 5-7pm and breed by noon next day...a little later than 12 hrs. .if standing in the morning breed by that evening. never used more that one straw and the one breeding that didn't take was a first calf heifer 45 days after calving...so i figured it was just early.

Alot said.. just my opinion for all those who read the thread. Best wishes. donna

We use a electronic HeatWatch system for out operation . It has been a tremendous help in heat detection . The trick to getting them bred is first knowing for sure when they come into heat. I feel it is one of the best investments we have ever made here on our place for increased conception rates and for labor savings . I would not consider going back to watching cattle by visual check ever again .

polledbull":moj1l0zy said:
We use a electronic HeatWatch system for out operation .

The local ABS rep had an old Heat Watch system for sale at just the cost of the mount trigger things. But after further investigation, I found it would not work on our "rolling" property. The field the cows are in has to accessible by the transmitter at all times or defetes the purpose. If you have housing and/or the proper facilities otherwise, the Heat Watch is a great tool. It just is not here, so I result to checking heat every 2 hours and I use estrus alert patches combined with Cidrs. Have good results that way.