Brittle Hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Is it true that fertilized coastal will turn your horses hoofs brittle. I have been putting rainmaker on them to keep them soft but seems like a looseing battle. My horses are turned out on coastal that has not been fertilized since April.

Scotty

Scotty,

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but in addition to "rainmaker ", which I believe is a great product, you can add a feed suppliment with Biotien in it to help hoof condition. As you probaly know hooves go very slow, much like our finger nails, so it will take a few months to see the difference.

Good luck on a answer to your question.
Alan

I have a paint with the most horrible brittle feet in the world, and literally got my tail chewed for their condition the last time the farrier was out to re-set him. He said that the problem that we're having with brittle hooves right now is that its just so dang dry here in Texas. Fertilizer or not. The paint is on a biotin suppliment (Farrier's Formula), and he said that will help wth brittle hooves, but that I would be better off in this dry weather using a hoof conditioner as the best bet right now against our weather and dry and brittle hooves. FWIW, I do think that fertilizer is drying to a horse's hooves, but only until it has been rained in.

In my opinion Farriers Formula is the best feed through supplement on the market. I fought for almost 2 years with my PMU draft mares hooves to get them in shape. I tried several different supplements. Shoeing is not an option for her, it's to dangerous for the farrier. We even did a quick file in between the 5 week trims. Someone recommended Farriers Formula and within 4 months we could see a difference when we trimmed her.
I haven't fed it to her for about 6 months and I can see her hooves going down hill again. She's getting more/larger cracks. I'm going to go back to using it.

I've also heard that Keratex is a great for hooves. A lot of people I know swear by it. Here's the web site for it.
http://www.keratex.net

I'll swear by the Farrier's Formula as well. My farrier recommended it to me, and it has really helped my paint's feet, and they are without a doubt the worst feet I've ever seen. He "gets by" with the suppliment, Hooflex, and scheduled shoeing every 6 weeks. He's absolutely useless barefoot. Although, paying for shoes every 6 weeks is a real good incentive to get out there and ride him. :oops: Might as well get some use outta that $75!

My first cousin, Dr. Frank Gravlee, developed Farriers Formula. He's a vet that practiced several years before attending graduate school at MIT. During a three-year residency in nutritional pathology he received a masters degree in nutritional biochemistry and intermediary metabolism and used what he learned there to develop Farriers Formula. It now sells worldwide. His site:
http://www.lifedatalabs.com/mainold.htm

TR":7gi3i4w3 said:
I have a paint with the most horrible brittle feet in the world, and literally got my tail chewed for their condition the last time the farrier was out to re-set him. He said that the problem that we're having with brittle hooves right now is that its just so dang dry here in Texas. Fertilizer or not. The paint is on a biotin suppliment (Farrier's Formula), and he said that will help wth brittle hooves, but that I would be better off in this dry weather using a hoof conditioner as the best bet right now against our weather and dry and brittle hooves. FWIW, I do think that fertilizer is drying to a horse's hooves, but only until it has been rained in.

Your right the dry conditions we are under make a horses feet dry and hard as rocks. Next time your farrier is scheduled to come out let your horse stand in a mudhole or just stand him in the grass and let the water hose run slowly by his feet, just 10-15 minutes of soaking will make a lot of difference. The longer the better. If you do it right and the horses feet are clean and dry when the farrier gets there he will be shocked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

If you can keep a wet area for your horse, somewhere like the water trough, where they will only stand temporarily, it will help with the dryness. Supplements are good but horses made it along time without them.

I agree with the soaking. It made a world of difference for the horses at the barn I work at, as well as my own.

They all had shoes on, and dry cracky feet that couldn't hold a shoe to save their lives.

We took the shoes off and began a soaking regimen (soaking religiously before rides) as well as keeping the area around the water troughs wet.

The change in these horses' feet is unreal. They are all sound and barefoot. Of course the feet shell a little due to natural wear and tear close to triming time, but their feet are tough, supple and don't crack.

As far as I know, they don;t get hoof stuff put on. They do get supplements in their feed... whether any of these are hoof specific I couldn't tell ya! I'll have to take a closer look at what they are... (it became habit putting the supplements in... didn't even look...)

TCFC

That's great Macon...please pass on the word that we all appreciate him for it! Used it with great results...mud by waters--good idea, biotin--good kinda slow but that horse will have the danged purdiest coat you ever saw after gettin biotin in it, throw in with that mix gelatin and I think that covers all that I have used (minus conditioners...which are worth the time if you ask me--but why is it that the stinkiest seem to do the most good? FISH OIL-- :? )

As a Farrier, I would say you all are on target. You will need Biotin and a foot dressing to keep dry feet good. Remember a good trimming schedule is VERY Important.The mud is o.k. but too much can cause other problems. :cboy: :cboy:

Latest posts