british white x hereford for a herd sire.

Help Support CattleToday:

if they were cheap i might have bought them but i prefer to buy off of the farm. i've only ever bought a couple from a barn and i bought them skinny to fatten up and flip. i do still own one and she made a really nice calf but didn't clean up for a few days. she's bred back but she's on the bubble. if she doesn't clean up this time she's headed back to the sale barn. i almost tripled my money on the other because it turned out she was bred too.
Cleaning has a lot to do with the minerals.

did you miss my first sentence? my goal is not to run everything through a sale barn. why should i give the majority of the profits away? on a good day you might get 1.30/100 for a 4-500 pound calf at a barn around here on a bad day you might get .80/100 the bigger the calf the lower the price per hundred. by the time that calf hits the end consumer the average price per pound is several times that. a calf that size has to be fed another 8-9 months maybe. that adds maybe another 250 dollars in feed. then there is the transportation and over head but i'm betting the feedlot makes a better profit off of that animal than the farmer did. then the packer gets the bulk of the profits. in the south east we don't have a lot of federal land we can run large herds on for basically free so the costs are higher and looking at market reports we seem to get lower prices at the sale barns. i'm headed into my retirement years and this is what i plan to do until i can't do it anymore. i want to pocket every penny i can off of every cow.
I didn't miss a thing. It also feeds back to best quality animals doing well however the end result is. Starting with the bull you have I can see your expectations aren't that high so fill your boots Sir.

"he's only here for a short time to produce a few heifers. and by the time i get where i'm trying to go he will make up less than 1/4 of the genetics. i've got a son of this bull on the ground now that i hope to use for my terminal cross bull in a couple of years if he fills out like his sire."
I am confused. Doesn't take much.
You have this BWF bull and you are going out of your way to use the Hereford bull "on a couple cows". And you have a son of the BWF? "From the picture", the BWF looks like twice the sire of the Hereford bull. Obviously "we" can't really SEE the Hereford, but what we can see, he should have been cut as a calf. You have a good BWF bull now. Use him on everything if your goal is to have the best calf crop possible. You want carcass animals from what you are saying. You will be going backwards with the HFD.
I guess you are having fun with your breeding program. To each their own. Lots of work, we might as well have fun. But, I do like to make money. And producing the best calf out of each and every cow is my goal. I breed for breeding stock, but same goal. Best calf to make money.

it definitely matters at the sale barn but this is just my retirement plan. i'll never run more than 40 to 50 cows and i think i can make a living off of that once i'm near debt free in a couple of years. i'm seeing more and more herds with color in them around me the last couple of years. angus suffer in the heat down here. half my cows are black or black with white faces my charolais crosses are up grazing when those cows are laying under trees and they generally have way less flies on them.
They haven't seen heat until they get in the Big Thicket!
Heat is the reason 42% of the US cow herd is Brahman influence.
That's the very reason LSU developed Brangus!

Plenty of heat here in oklahoma too!
Lots of brangus.
My goofy ol brangus bull will be out grazing in 100 degree full sun days...

"he's only here for a short time to produce a few heifers. and by the time i get where i'm trying to go he will make up less than 1/4 of the genetics. i've got a son of this bull on the ground now that i hope to use for my terminal cross bull in a couple of years if he fills out like his sire."
I am confused. Doesn't take much.
You have this BWF bull and you are going out of your way to use the Hereford bull "on a couple cows". And you have a son of the BWF? "From the picture", the BWF looks like twice the sire of the Hereford bull. Obviously "we" can't really SEE the Hereford, but what we can see, he should have been cut as a calf. You have a good BWF bull now. Use him on everything if your goal is to have the best calf crop possible. You want carcass animals from what you are saying. You will be going backwards with the HFD.
I guess you are having fun with your breeding program. To each their own. Lots of work, we might as well have fun. But, I do like to make money. And producing the best calf out of each and every cow is my goal. I breed for breeding stock, but same goal. Best calf to make money.
i don't have the BWF bull but i do have a heifer and bull calf out of him. i bought a couple of cows that were bred to him. this is his son today at just under 3 weeks. also you're comparing a 4 year old bull to a 16 month old bull that i put on cows when he was 13 months old. he is definitely twice the bull. the second picture includes the heifer calf out of the half sister to the mother of the bull calf. she was born april 28th the bull was born may 20th. he's been trying to mount her since he was 5 days old. i wish he had dark pigment around his eyes but you can't have everything. for some reason the original files won't attach.

Yeah but we all know it takes a chainsaw to cut through a Brahma hamburger, they're so tough! He's selling meat, not shoe leather!

Thought I would stir the pot a little, I kinda miss the old days when guys like you and Raven would argue on for days on things like this.

Yeah but we all know it takes a chainsaw to cut through a Brahma hamburger, they're so tough! He's selling meat, not shoe leather!

Thought I would stir the pot a little, I kinda miss the old days when guys like you and Raven would argue on for days on things like this.
You can't fix stupid you can ignorance.
Bet you never had a steak.

you could convince me that 42 percent is underestimated but i'm in the deep south.

i expect a good portion of what hits the market has brahman influence. i don't doubt that they can be finished into decent steak but everything i've had with brahman in it hasn't been fun in the catch pen. i've got a cow that's very easy on the eyes and is a good mother but she's knocked me down in a crowded catch pen. i don't particularly want to be remembered for being trampled to death.

Need a better brahma.

I've had a grand total of 2.
1 was a sweetheart.
The other would kill you if u tried to get her baby. Lol
She was probly the chainsaw hamburger....
the one i have has been mad at me since i sold her calf back in february. she doesn't come at me and she wasn't trying to kill me in the catch pen she was just agitated and backed over me. most of what i have aren't bothered by being in tight spaces. i hate to get rid of her but i probably will.

Forget that hereford bull. AI that BW cow with B&B Supreme, hope you get a good son and have your herd sire be a straight BW.
get some continental mama cows..
More uniformity among your calves and more hybrid vigor.

Forget that hereford bull. AI that BW cow with B&B Supreme, hope you get a good son and have your herd sire be a straight BW.
get some continental mama cows..
More uniformity among your calves and more hybrid vigor
i do like british whites and that cow dropped a big calf and her udder never looks drained even though i know he's taking a lot of milk. i'm about to move her into a nursery pasture with some other cows with calves and i wouldn't be surprised if she let multiple calves nurse if they try.

Latest posts