british white x hereford for a herd sire.

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
i've got a young hereford bull that i think is going to be pretty impressive when he is full grown and a large british white cow that has an excellent bag, big frame and totes a lot of muscle. if i get a bull calf from the cross i'm considering putting it over some charolaise and angus cross cows to build a herd of commercial cows. any thoughts on that plan? i know i'm going to get a mix of color but I'm more concerned about good mothers that can raise big calves fast.

this is the cow with her current calf on her. i bought her bred to a dexter bull that wasn't much bigger than a deer. the calf is maybe a week old in that picture. i don't think the dexter had much influence on him. not sure what to do with that calf. i've considered watching him for 6 or 8 months and if he stays small keeping him for a heifer bull.

Attachments

• IMG_7108.jpeg
    IMG_7108.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
I would love to see a calf out of that mama bred to a good hereford bull.

If you zoom in, u can see the black in her ears. Big ol cow.
Do you have other british whites to breed a hereford to?
Wonder if anyone else is doing that..

I would love to see a calf out of that mama bred to a good hereford bull.

If you zoom in, u can see the black in her ears. Big ol cow.
Do you have other british whites to breed a hereford to?
Wonder if anyone else is doing that..
she's my only british white. they are scarce around here. i can buy her daughter but she is also bred to the same dexter bull and was bred way too young the first time so may be a little stunted. she is also skittish and i'm a one man show and don't tolerate cows that i can't move around with in tight spaces. i am considering ai-ing some using british white semen if i continue to like what i see. that cow is a good mother and seems to be keeping condition even with that calf pulling on her. i think the hereford cross bull over the angus influence cows will make heavy milkers that can be bred by a black bull and produce a high percentage of black or baldie calves that will wean heavy. but that's just me making a lot of assumptions.

she's my only british white. i think the hereford cross bull over the angus influence cows will make heavy milkers that can be bred by a black bull and produce a high percentage of black or baldie calves that will wean heavy.
The angus x hereford x british white cross are good cattle.
BUT you will get a lot of black cattle with white lined backs (skunks) lol :)
that get docked at sale barns because of the odd coloring

i wish he had dark pigment around his eyes. the british white should add that i think.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7172.jpeg
    IMG_7172.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
yeah, i know i'll probably end up with a lot of chrome but i'll never run more than 50-60 head (if that) and some i'll sell some as freezer meat, some as replacement heifers and some at the sale barn. anything with too much chrome can be freezer meat and hopefully the beef will speak for itself.

Farm down the road has some BW cows with Black Angus bulls over them. They get a lot of calves that are marked just like the mommas.

Farm down the road has some BW cows with Black Angus bulls over them. They get a lot of calves that are marked just like the mommas.
yup, the british white coloring is strong....
calves 1/2 angus 1/2 british white, a lot will be marked like their mommas

1/4 british white 1/4 hereford 1/2 angus will be a lot of black sided calves, with white back stripes and motely faces with an occasional white one and an occasional fully black one.

Latest posts