british white x hereford for a herd sire.

Help Support CattleToday:

D59E7511-B0C1-4BDC-862E-C2AFA26FCD30.jpeg
I don't know much about the different breeds of white cows but I picked up a 2yo registered white Galloway bull 2 years ago for next to nothing. I ran him on 10 of the pet cows and he give half white half solid black on commercial black cows. He was very calm and very good on feed efficiency. I will say I'm sold on the Galloway breed just not the white

Attachments

• FE0A7A51-6D37-4E2E-B720-E51930720472.jpeg
    FE0A7A51-6D37-4E2E-B720-E51930720472.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 9
my goal isn't to move everything through a sale barn. that's just doing the work for the next guy to make the profits. i'm curious how much chrome will be thrown 3 generations down the line by putting a british white cross in the mix now. if mother cows are only 1/4 british white and they get bred to a black bull or a baldie i would think a fair amount of calves would be baldies or black but i'm guessing.
Did you stop to think that if the next guy can make a profit on your calves that they are worth more when you sell them also? Dockage in prices are usually for a reason..... poor type animals, no vaccination program, poor condition, wormy, not castrated or dehorned........ Then someone comes along and tries to justify they don't care what the buyers think..... and next they are complaining about the low price they received.

I absolutely LOVE a white cow with black points!
Ain't enough of em in my opinion.
Dont even see but a handful at the sales around here.
Same here, but around us people assume they are Lineback dairy cross and they take a beating at the auctions.
I may need to get a pet one , or two.

I absolutely LOVE a white cow with black points!
Ain't enough of em in my opinion.
Dont even see but a handful at the sales around here.
Can't stand the dock is why you don't see them.
Like it or not the color dock is real. I dang sure am not raising welfare cattle to feed someone on food stamps rib-eye.

I have said I'll always have at least one white cow in the herd, it makes it easier to see where the cattle are when it's dark...

I agree the dock is real!
Unfortunately that's why my calves are black or red hides.

There is a very small herd of British White mamas north of here a bit. Absolutely beautiful animals!
Someones hobby animals I'm sure. Very well taken care of and it shows. Probably taken care of better than needs to be.

Next time I'm up that way I really should stop and talk to those folks.

I agree the dock is real!
Unfortunately that's why my calves are black or red hides.

There is a very small herd of British White mamas north of here a bit. Absolutely beautiful animals!
Someones hobby animals I'm sure. Very well taken care of and it shows. Probably taken care of better than needs to be.

Next time I'm up that way I really should stop and talk to those folks.
Large registered herd 15 miles north of me. Beautiful cattle in their pasture, they are definitely write off cattle.

Ignore color - you are saying you want to raise BEEF to sell freezer trade - so color does not matter. Bottom line, you need to produce MUSCLING. Your Hereford bull does not show muscling (from the pictures). You can have a great tempered bull AND have a good muscled bull also. You are single trait picking your bull. Takes a long time to produce that carcass hanging on the rail for your customer. You want as much weight as possible. Doesn't make any difference what COLOR it is - hide is gone. But, muscling and rate of gain is what will make you money.
I am 74 years young, female, walk around my 50 head of cows, never need to watch my back. Cull for good temperaments.
And, not all bulls born should be kept a bull. If you say this young bull calf is out of a runt of a sire, I wouldn't even think about using him as a bull. That runt genetics is in this calf you have, no matter how well "he" might grow. Make him a steer and enjoy his meat - not his genetics.
We all enjoy looking at our cattle. The hardest thing for most people is to actually SEE their animals and be able to be critical. We refer that as being "barn blind".
I think you are on the right track wanting good big stout momma cows that milk good and have good temperaments.

Ignore color - you are saying you want to raise BEEF to sell freezer trade - so color does not matter. Bottom line, you need to produce MUSCLING. Your Hereford bull does not show muscling (from the pictures). You can have a great tempered bull AND have a good muscled bull also. You are single trait picking your bull. Takes a long time to produce that carcass hanging on the rail for your customer. You want as much weight as possible. Doesn't make any difference what COLOR it is - hide is gone. But, muscling and rate of gain is what will make you money.
I am 74 years young, female, walk around my 50 head of cows, never need to watch my back. Cull for good temperaments.
And, not all bulls born should be kept a bull. If you say this young bull calf is out of a runt of a sire, I wouldn't even think about using him as a bull. That runt genetics is in this calf you have, no matter how well "he" might grow. Make him a steer and enjoy his meat - not his genetics.
We all enjoy looking at our cattle. The hardest thing for most people is to actually SEE their animals and be able to be critical. We refer that as being "barn blind".
I think you are on the right track wanting good big stout momma cows that milk good and have good temperaments.
It still matters to some extent, Americans have been sold a bull of goods. The greatest marketing scheme of all times if it isn't Angus it's not quality.
Most Americans can recognize that CAB bull sign that's on every meat case in America.
Perception becomes reality.

Attachments

• E51CC89D-1000-4646-A658-09E11B32422D.png
    E51CC89D-1000-4646-A658-09E11B32422D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
he's only here for a short time to produce a few heifers. and by the time i get where i'm trying to go he will make up less than 1/4 of the genetics. i've got a son of this bull on the ground now that i hope to use for my terminal cross bull in a couple of years if he fills out like his sire.

Attachments

• IMG_1828 2.jpeg
    IMG_1828 2.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 12
It still matters to some extent, Americans have been sold a bull of goods. The greatest marketing scheme of all times if it isn't Angus it's not quality.
Most Americans can recognize that CAB bull sign that's on every meat case in America.
Perception becomes reality.
it definitely matters at the sale barn but this is just my retirement plan. i'll never run more than 40 to 50 cows and i think i can make a living off of that once i'm near debt free in a couple of years. i'm seeing more and more herds with color in them around me the last couple of years. angus suffer in the heat down here. half my cows are black or black with white faces my charolais crosses are up grazing when those cows are laying under trees and they generally have way less flies on them.

Large registered herd 15 miles north of me. Beautiful cattle in their pasture, they are definitely write off cattle.
as in tax write off? around here registered british white sell for about 1500 a head and the people that want them don't seem to mind paying. i've considered buying a few more and starting a small herd just to sell to those people.

as in tax write off? around here registered british white sell for about 1500 a head and the people that want them don't seem to mind paying. i've considered buying a few more and starting a small herd just to sell to those people.

That would probably work out just make sure you start with quality cows.
I have learned a lot since I started with a small registered herd. The one thing I wish I had know was to buy the best cows you can afford.
You can AI a cow to the best bull walking but if the cow doesn't have the goods the calf will just be mediocre.

Did you stop to think that if the next guy can make a profit on your calves that they are worth more when you sell them also? Dockage in prices are usually for a reason..... poor type animals, no vaccination program, poor condition, wormy, not castrated or dehorned........ Then someone comes along and tries to justify they don't care what the buyers think..... and next they are complaining about the low price they received.
did you miss my first sentence? my goal is not to run everything through a sale barn. why should i give the majority of the profits away? on a good day you might get 1.30/100 for a 4-500 pound calf at a barn around here on a bad day you might get .80/100 the bigger the calf the lower the price per hundred. by the time that calf hits the end consumer the average price per pound is several times that. a calf that size has to be fed another 8-9 months maybe. that adds maybe another 250 dollars in feed. then there is the transportation and over head but i'm betting the feedlot makes a better profit off of that animal than the farmer did. then the packer gets the bulk of the profits. in the south east we don't have a lot of federal land we can run large herds on for basically free so the costs are higher and looking at market reports we seem to get lower prices at the sale barns. i'm headed into my retirement years and this is what i plan to do until i can't do it anymore. i want to pocket every penny i can off of every cow.

That would probably work out just make sure you start with quality cows.
I have learned a lot since I started with a small registered herd. The one thing I wish I had know was to buy the best cows you can afford.
You can AI a cow to the best bull walking but if the cow doesn't have the goods the calf will just be mediocre.
yeah, i'd definitely ai if i decide to do that.

Same here, but around us people assume they are Lineback dairy cross and they take a beating at the auctions.
I may need to get a pet one , or two.
yeah, a lot of the markings i've seen on crosses would make me think they were shorthorn crosses.

Back in January...
If I remember right, they were both heifers and went pretty cheap. Had to sit on my hands. If they were solid white with black points, I'd a probly bought em.
View attachment 4842View attachment 4843
if they were cheap i might have bought them but i prefer to buy off of the farm. i've only ever bought a couple from a barn and i bought them skinny to fatten up and flip. i do still own one and she made a really nice calf but didn't clean up for a few days. she's bred back but she's on the bubble. if she doesn't clean up this time she's headed back to the sale barn. i almost tripled my money on the other because it turned out she was bred too.