British White Park

Help Support CattleToday:

thebozemanfarm

Reaction score
can anyone tell me about British White Park?
we bought a cow/calf pair last year and they have done real well. seem to be very gentle animals...
The cow had a calf (this past saturday) from our Angus bull and the calf is identical White Park. i realize with genetics and all that this is possible. but i would figure the calf would look different.. his spots are identical to the cow and the heifer...seems to be no trace of Angus..
Sure are nice animals to have though.. i couldnt be more pleased with them.

A neigboring dairy has one that he milks. Smallish and compact, very gentle disposition, she's calved the last 3 years with huge Holstein cross calves with no fuss or bother. She milks well for about 5 months and the production just drops like a rock to nothing and is dry by 7 motnhs, but she calves regualrly at 11 1/2 to 12 months. I've been trying to buy her from him for the past several years but he won't budge.

dun

thebozemanfarm":2waqkzsx said:
can anyone tell me about British White Park?
we bought a cow/calf pair last year and they have done real well. seem to be very gentle animals...
The cow had a calf (this past saturday) from our Angus bull and the calf is identical White Park. i realize with genetics and all that this is possible. but i would figure the calf would look different.. his spots are identical to the cow and the heifer...seems to be no trace of Angus..
Sure are nice animals to have though.. i couldnt be more pleased with them.

I have 3 white park cows and have used a white park bull for the last 3 years. I have crossed them with all kinds of breeds, Sems., Char., Angus, Herford, Limo's, and some others. The calves come out Aabout 50% of the time looking like a Whit Park. A number of times I have had White calves with black points from purebreed red Limo's. Herford X make a real pretty White Calf with red points, and Chars are white with grey to smoky colored points. The three cows I have are great, gental,. great mothers with a lot of milk. The Bull i used for the last 3 years I had to sell because he got nasty, not a usual thing for the breed but he got really bad, he was about 4 1/2 years old. Currently I am raising One of his sons from A purebreed white park cow and plan to use him next spring.

we bred white parks for 5 to 6 years we started off with a few black baldy cow and a.i to white park. most of the calves were small white with black spotts. but the heifer calves we bred back had huge calves abut 100lbs and those calves grew to be 1400 to almost 1900lbs. this is usally unheard of. the temperments were fine but they were almost bigger than my simmentals. But we soon had calving problems and culled all of them.
we have semen left and plan to use it on some of out clubcalf heifers to see if we get the same results or if we can get some smokies.

I just bought my first 2 American British White Parks today. I am looking for any information on them. The whole herd were so gentle, they just came up and looked me right in the eyes. A couple came over to me and licked me. They seemed really intelligent and I have read that over in England, they put them out to clean up the brush and bushes. Maybe they will clean up the fence lines for me. While they were pretty good sized, they did seem to small to breed with the very large breeds. If there is anyone within a couple of hours of Harrison AR that have any that are registered with pure bloodlines, please let me know as I am looking to buy more closer to our area. I had to go to IL to get these. Also, I've read that the meat is very tender and well marblelized. I did find good info at http://www.whitecattle.org/ [/img]

I raise British White cattle, which was the name given to the polled variety of the White Park breed, as of 1946 in the United Kingdom. They are very gentle, very beautiful, plus they have those features that we all want - calving ease, fertility, milkiness, excellent beef, and sound feet. I've not had any problems with their heat tolerance. I have a few remaining registered Angus cattle, and they are by far the first to wade into a pond to be cooled off.

I forgot to mention that when you're crossing with the British White, the outcome can be a perfectly marked British White. I've crossed with registered Black Angus, and I either get a perfect BW marked calf, or I get what is referred to as a 'lineback', which is a white steak down the back, and under the belly. What I've most been intrigued with is the gentle nature of the BW that transfers on to a cross calf that might otherwise have a traditional flight zone of several feet.

Latest posts