British White Cross ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":p4dgs2ai said:
randiliana":p4dgs2ai said:
Stocker Steve":p4dgs2ai said:
A local guy is advertising some 1200 to 1300 pound British Whites bred black angus. They look like good cows. He claims they will all throw a solid colored calf ??? Hard to believe. What is the inheritance for whites like this ?

Also, is there a better British White terminal cross than angus? Simi is currently the local favorite for terminal cross.

Once you cross them to a solid coloured breed, if you were to breed those calves back to another solid breed you would get about 50% solid and 50% speckled.
So if I bred a solid colored BW cross to another solid breed, what is the odds for her to give us a speckled calf?

Solid to solid shold only give a solid.

Let me know when your ready to bring em across. I'll be in the back room BS'ing and listening to Ralph tell stories.

Good to have a few pasture ornaments. You don't want all your cows to be ugly.

Here's a heifer I bought that turned out pregnant, then had this purebred steer calf at 15 months (71 pounder). I was milking a few quarts a day from her for a while.

Here's her next calf out of a red angus bull.

And here's some recent ones last fall. Heifer on left is 1/4 BA, and heifer on right is 3/8 BA.

I am now in the British White business. I named the one with red points and a lot of attitude after my daughter in law.
Time to look for some of that easy calving Char semen.

randiliana":30fou981 said:
[
Solid to solid shold only give a solid.

Not if there is Longhorn or Red Brahman in the mix. The Red Brahman with white spots running down the dewlap to the brisket will throw those white spots 2-3 generations down the road of homozygous Black Angus crossings.

Stocker Steve":3ppbjmt5 said:
I am now in the British White business. I named the one with red points and a lot of attitude after my daughter in law.
Time to look for some of that easy calving Char semen.
Enjoy them and and good luck with selling the calves. Hereford would be my second choice to use on BW cows.

Stocker Steve":2d02gmxz said:
Not sure how mostly marked means color "dominate", but this is what I found:

is the very large percentage of British White cross calves
that bear quite classic British White markings. Having crossed
with black Angus many years ago, I'd say that about 60% of all
my cross bred calves were typical milk white with black point
calves, and the remainder were line-backed.

The BW color gene is dominant, no matter what you breed to. You might get some that are "overmarked," but you'll have white/black something most of the time. We have a few head of BWs and love them. They are very grass efficient -- sometimes too grass efficient, as it's hard to keep those cows trim. We don't sell at auction; our excess goes out as butcher beef, and our customers don't care what color the hair is. Our custom cutter says that he wishes our beef were on the rail every time someone walks in his shop -- says they make him look good. :lol:

djinwa":31lp7l5o said:
Good to have a few pasture ornaments. You don't want all your cows to be ugly.

Here's a heifer I bought that turned out pregnant, then had this purebred steer calf at 15 months (71 pounder). I was milking a few quarts a day from her for a while.

Here's her next calf out of a red angus bull.

And here's some recent ones last fall. Heifer on left is 1/4 BA, and heifer on right is 3/8 BA.

Really pretty cattle, djinwa! From these pics, Stocker Steve, you can see how strong the BW color genes come through on X-breds.

Thanks. Of course, I try to only show the best angles and the best time of year.

BW are good as long as people know what they are good for. I am just fooling with them, beef for the family and a few friends. And stealing a little milk for my cheerios.

Four years ago, I sold a couple BW heifers to a guy who had a herd of BA cows. He just got a BW bull which he hoped would make more gentle cows. A few years later I saw he had a bunch of steers listed on craigslist. I called him and he said he found out he was getting docked big at the sale barn, so was going back to BA bull on his black cows.

For a while I'll use BA, RA, and Hereford semen since there is more selection with them. I'll still get the white calves, which I prefer for looks and heat tolerance. At some point breed to BW for replacements.

I've always like this guy Elvis.

http://www.jwest.biz/SemenSalesBritishWhite.htm

djinwa":2fjs8ws9 said:
Thanks. Of course, I try to only show the best angles and the best time of year.

BW are good as long as people know what they are good for. I am just fooling with them, beef for the family and a few friends. And stealing a little milk for my cheerios.

Four years ago, I sold a couple BW heifers to a guy who had a herd of BA cows. He just got a BW bull which he hoped would make more gentle cows. A few years later I saw he had a bunch of steers listed on craigslist. I called him and he said he found out he was getting docked big at the sale barn, so was going back to BA bull on his black cows.

For a while I'll use BA, RA, and Hereford semen since there is more selection with them. I'll still get the white calves, which I prefer for looks and heat tolerance. At some point breed to BW for replacements.

I've always like this guy Elvis.

http://www.jwest.biz/SemenSalesBritishWhite.htm

Elvis is in my tank, but I haven't used him yet.

Kathie in Thorp":k4j1ni9p said:
We have a few head of BWs and love them. They are very grass efficient -- sometimes too grass efficient, as it's hard to keep those cows trim. We don't sell at auction; our excess goes out as butcher beef, and our customers don't care what color the hair is. Our custom cutter says that he wishes our beef were on the rail every time someone walks in his shop -- says they make him look good. :lol:

We butcher a couple off grass each summer. Usually wf heifers.
The 3 BW cows I bought are small frame and showing their ribs after wintering on hay.
We will see what happens on pasture.

Latest posts