Brinks Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Is this name of Brangus derived from a really good brangus ranch? Or the names of the first ever brangus cattle? Or just a really good line of Brangus?

CopeMan":4pakb9v6 said:
Is this name of Brangus derived from a really good brangus ranch? Or the names of the first ever brangus cattle? Or just a really good line of Brangus?

Cope an Ok. Rancher was the first to start playing with the cross, and also at a government test station in La. Can't remember the name of the ranch in Ok.

Brinks was the name of a first class and highly regarded outfit that raised black Brangus seedstock. They sold out some years ago to Camp Cooley ranch which, I believe, is located in Franklin, Texas. I believe Camp Cooley is similarly highly regarded in the Brangus breed, along with the Steiner ranch of Bastrop, Tx., Cow Creek Ranch (which I think is in Alabama) and no doubt some less publicized outfits such as Vineyard Cattle Co. in Wharton, Tx.

Arnold Ziffle":1zxa3qng said:
Brinks was the name of a first class and highly regarded outfit that raised black Brangus seedstock. They sold out some years ago to Camp Cooley ranch which, I believe, is located in Franklin, Texas. I believe Camp Cooley is similarly highly regarded in the Brangus breed, along with the Steiner ranch of Bastrop, Tx., Cow Creek Ranch (which I think is in Alabama) and no doubt some less publicized outfits such as Vineyard Cattle Co. in Wharton, Tx.

Thanks for the info AZ.

Brinks Brangus was owned by the Brinkman family. I think their ranch was in Oklahoma (or maybe Missouri). And AZ is right, they sold all of their cattle to Camp Cooley Ranch in Franklin, Texas. The Camp Cooley Brangus herd was built around Brinks genetics.

Editor":194dw31c said:
Brinks Brangus was owned by the Brinkman family. I think their ranch was in Oklahoma (or maybe Missouri). And AZ is right, they sold all of their cattle to Camp Cooley Ranch in Franklin, Texas. The Camp Cooley Brangus herd was built around Brinks genetics.

When they sold out; that means they sold everything. Brood Cows, heifers, herd bulls, semen, the works?

Brinks actually was near Poteet, Texas then moved the herd to Kansas before being purchased by Camp Cooley Ranch in 1993. Camp Cooley did purchase the name, brand, cattle, etc. So, actually Camp Cooley's herd is essentially Brinks genetics. Brinks has led the genetic trends in the Brangus breed for years. They were the first Brangus breeder to use Embryo Transfer to increase production of proven females.

Camp Cooley is a real "class operation". Great cattle and great people to work with. AND every sale on the ranch begins with prayer and the national anthem. To me that's hard to beat.

TexasBred":w3z289tp said:
Camp Cooley is a real "class operation". Great cattle and great people to work with. AND every sale on the ranch begins with prayer and the national anthem. To me that's hard to beat.

Especially since the owner isn't an American. Or at least not a "born in the USA" American.

TexasBred":ttxo3khq said:
Camp Cooley is a real "class operation".

They have a great deal of crediblity.

There are also some really good breeders out there who don't advertise. Most probably couldn't compete with Camp Cooley so they don't even try. Great sources for picking up good animals nevertheless.

Thought you might want to see their site. I have friends who work for them. a really big outfit.
http://www.campcooley.com
Seems they are always doing something good for the respective breed assns they belong to.
They have a sale coming up very soon. Very much Brinks influence.

TexasBred":1il3ws8r said:

I actually had one of there field reps call me this week, for my area and talk to me about a cooperator breeder. I tell you it does sound worth while and I have to admit does sound pretty neat. Especially to know that you would be part of a big operation like Camp Cooley. Im a commercial person, but having a 6-10 reg. cows and selling the bulls and heifers every year additionally would be pretty cool. Angus or Charolais are more popular in my area, but as the rep. said Brangus is there main breed and several othe farmers in my area are raising them for Camp Cooley, I just wonder if the pay off is worth it, because they take half of the selling price. But I quess its like anything the more money you put into it the more money youll make. Ex.. If you buy better bred stuff and raise better bulls, the more they/ll sell for. I just wonder if any of the other biggies out there would worth taking a look at, like R.A. Brown Ranch, or Stevenson Basin, in the Cooperator herds. They might not offer that opportunity to just anyone though..??

CopeMan":1s1xhzgs said:
TexasBred":1s1xhzgs said:

I actually had one of there field reps call me this week, for my area and talk to me about a cooperator breeder. I tell you it does sound worth while and I have to admit does sound pretty neat. Especially to know that you would be part of a big operation like Camp Cooley. Im a commercial person, but having a 6-10 reg. cows and selling the bulls and heifers every year additionally would be pretty cool. Angus or Charolais are more popular in my area, but as the rep. said Brangus is there main breed and several othe farmers in my area are raising them for Camp Cooley, I just wonder if the pay off is worth it, because they take half of the selling price. But I quess its like anything the more money you put into it the more money youll make. Ex.. If you buy better bred stuff and raise better bulls, the more they/ll sell for. I just wonder if any of the other biggies out there would worth taking a look at, like R.A. Brown Ranch, or Stevenson Basin, in the Cooperator herds. They might not offer that opportunity to just anyone though..??

Cooperating with Camp Cooley apparently works for a lot of people, but I have a neighbor who won't do it again. She sent bulls down there twice and said she'd have done as well to take them to the sale barn at weaning.

Latest posts