bringing steers off grass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought some 450 lb steers and I was just wondering what I should get them up to . They will be strictly on grass so I don't expect them to weigh more thah 700 before I run out of grass. Is that a good weight or should I throw a little grain at them for the last month

If Holsteins they should probably have grain all the way through. If beef, and you have good quality grass, the grass should be enough. Worm them before you turn them out.

dun

Anonymous":2wntt3el said:
I bought some 450 lb steers and I was just wondering what I should get them up to . They will be strictly on grass so I don't expect them to weigh more thah 700 before I run out of grass. Is that a good weight or should I throw a little grain at them for the last month

U dont have ta give holstiens so much grain ta get them 2 fatting size MIne stay on grass from weaning to 800 or 900 pounds then they hit the feeding lot just give them alitte corn. For every 2 i give them 1bucket of corn a week still on the cob and in sucks. Same for the beef steers. We cut it out of the feilds with a snapper

Anonymous":2zqsdpb0 said:

Last year in June, I purchased a few beef calves weighting about 400 Lbs. and grazed them until October when I harvested them. They weighted about 600 lbs at harvest. I sold the calves at $3.50 lb. hanging weight. They were grass fed, no growth hormons, and natural beef. There is a market for this age and type beef. It is extreamely tender and tasty although it is lean. There is a market for this type of beef, if you live in an area near a city that has educated professional people; like a univeristy city.

My last years customers are already asking if I plan to do it again.

what weight did you slaughter? what type of cattle? I am in your region well a couple states west and am curious. Did you advertie or just spread the word

Latest posts