Bringing cows north from the south

Help Support CattleToday:

GG2

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with cows adapting to a different climate? I live in Iowa and found some heifers in Oklahoma and didn't no if that is a bad idea or not.

Nothing ever beats native cows. I have problems with just about anything that doesn't come from right around my area. Most of them will adapt within a year or two but you either need to be willing to accept some failure or price them with culling half built into the price.
I can see how in easier environments than where my cows are the results might be a little less dramatic, but nothing beats native cows. :D

GG2":3uot5cp8 said:
Has anyone had trouble with cows adapting to a different climate? I live in Iowa and found some heifers in Oklahoma and didn't no if that is a bad idea or not.

I have done it several times. Friend has done it as well in IA. A lot depends on the part of OK as well. As long as the cows are built right with capacity you should be fine. Bringing them in spring is ideal giving them the summer to ease into winter.

You may lose a few especially with another nasty winter.

Be sure to keep up with worming as they will be susceptible to your kinds.

Scratch that they are in southwest Missouri. I want to buy now because I think as winter goes on bred animals are going to keep going up. But with what I'm guessing I will have to pay I can't afford to lose any either.

Just wait till spring. I'd hate to lost them to harsh winters. Thinks we will get another harsh winter this year as usual just like last winter. May I ask you what breed of cattle you going to buy?

GG2":r5kff9w1 said:

I wouldn't do it at this time of the year. If it were springtime, I would say go for it because they would have most of the year to acclimate, but moving cattle north from southern climes in October is not going to give them enough time to acclimate to the harsher weather and you could very well lose them - especially if the winter is a hard one.

I would not be afraid to buy them now, they get some severe weather in southwest ok also. they would have time to get acclimated before spring calving. brought my cattle from northern pa to north mo. they were not used to fescue & I did lose some from that. the cold in iowa should not bother them if they have good hay & wind break

Last fall a buddy of mine bought 3 pot loads of bred cows from texas. They all did well and he still has them all. They were half starved and looked like crap, now you can;t tell them from all of his other cows.

GG2":3pnlg51v said:
Scratch that they are in southwest Missouri. I want to buy now because I think as winter goes on bred animals are going to keep going up. But with what I'm guessing I will have to pay I can't afford to lose any either.

If you can't afford to lose any, you shouldn't be buying them. That's how most problems get started.

jerry27150":72k1bvbj said:
I would not be afraid to buy them now, they get some severe weather in southwest ok also. they would have time to get acclimated before spring calving. brought my cattle from northern pa to north mo. they were not used to fescue & I did lose some from that. the cold in iowa should not bother them if they have good hay & wind break
I don't know about that. Iowa winters can be harsher than PA, OK and MO.

Taurus,never said iowa did not have cold winters. said if healthy cattle have good hay & windbreak they will be fine. how anything lives in minn surprises me, with the flat ground & one little row of windbreak trees by house & barn to break -50 degree wind

jerry27150":1k8ulh72 said:
Taurus,never said iowa did not have cold winters. said if healthy cattle have good hay & windbreak they will be fine. how anything lives in minn surprises me, with the flat ground & one little row of windbreak trees by house & barn to break -50 degree wind
Doesn't mean it is right or healthy way to do. Even with a good hay and windbreak, you can still lost the cattle if they didn't get to acclimate to this kind of winters.

Done it before in eastern Iowa and lost some and been fine on some. Usually OK with the right type of cow and its best to bring them in the spring. Might try heifers or young cows later in the year just baby them a little. Older cows definetly not.

I think it is hit or miss. A friend bought a two year old Angus bull from Wyoming and he did great bred 25 Brahma heifers. Went back the next year and bought the first bull's half brother also two, and that bull almost died in the Texas summer couldn't use him the first year he was down here.

How about the reverse of this? Bringing cows from a place like Missouri/Iowa to Georgia or north Florida? They should love the winters, but it gets hot and humid in the summer. Obviously a cow from the same latitude would be better, but if you ran into a opportunity would you be confident bringing a yankee cow to Dixie?

rockroadseminole":2sropyst said:
How about the reverse of this? Bringing cows from a place like Missouri/Iowa to Georgia or north Florida? They should love the winters, but it gets hot and humid in the summer. Obviously a cow from the same latitude would be better, but if you ran into a opportunity would you be confident bringing a yankee cow to Dixie?

I would. Missouri can get pretty hot and humid during the summer. I have sent many cows from here down to Alabama or Georgia in June and July and have done well for their new buyers.

greatgerts":2z4ypub4 said:
rockroadseminole":2z4ypub4 said:

I would. Missouri can get pretty hot and humid during the summer. I have sent many cows from here down to Alabama or Georgia in June and July and have done well for their new buyers.

Good to know! Thanks!