Bringing cows from Texas to Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
Would cows from Texas be able to adjust to the climate and forage of Alabama? Wanting to get some f1 tigers. Can't find any that are worth a crap around here. My angus aren't cutting it in my opinion. Would like to get some tigers and breed to a charolais bull. Like the looks of the cross, and so did the buyers at superior.

it really depends on you grass .. I can't bring cows from north west or south Texas to my part of Texas. If your buying hiefer it shouldn't be a problem . If you are planning to feed them a little they should have time to adjust. I bought some black baldy pairs from about 350 miles north of me . It took those cows 3 years to adjust and I just about went broke feeding them enough to get them sold .

circlew":100jeroq said:
Would cows from Texas be able to adjust to the climate and forage of Alabama? Wanting to get some f1 tigers. Can't find any that are worth a crap around here. My angus aren't cutting it in my opinion. Would like to get some tigers and breed to a charolais bull. Like the looks of the cross, and so did the buyers at superior.
I agree it depends on your grass but shouldn't be a big adjustment from Texas to Alabama. The Tiger Char cross produces the best growing calf I have personally seen anywhere, and right now you can find some real good deals in Texas with the drought. It does seem to take cows at least a year to fully adjust for me even if I bring em 100 miles.

If your taking Tigers from the coastline to 75 miles inland you could go anywhere in Alabama you wanted. If your taking Tigers from central Texas or west Texas stay away from the deep south Alabama that would be a train wreck.

I figure if your buying F1's brafords :cowboy: they'll been on bahia and shouldnt miss a lick in south ala,, i bought a puredbred brahman that came from south louisiana she never slowed down on our fescue

Isomade":3kms6nph said:
The Tiger Char cross produces the best growing calf I have personally seen anywhere...
I guess that would make a super-growthy terminal cross, but my first thought was you'll have 17-1800 pound cows faster than you can say feed bill. Just my :2cents:

ALACOWMAN":pwb5w6i6 said:
I figure if your buying F1's brafords :cowboy: they'll been on bahia and shouldnt miss a lick in south ala,, i bought a puredbred brahman that came from south louisiana she never slowed down on our fescue
Depends on where you get them a lot of Texas is Bermuda especially south. Any where 75 miles from the coast .

JSCATTLE":2qfzfjob said:
ALACOWMAN":2qfzfjob said:
Depends on where you get them a lot of Texas is Bermuda especially south. Any where 50 miles from the coast .
bermuda here too and south....most up this way is coastal and common the coastals used for hay

I know the problem with bringing cows into my area is our soil is leached. We get an average of 60 inches a year. Most of Texas receives less than 20 inches a year . So cows have to eat 3 times as much here to get the same nutrients..

In my mind it's all about the moisture content.
If you ate a hamburger and a full glass of water every day for lunch that would be what your body was accustomed to.
Then you move to a place where in order to eat a whole hamburger, you had to drink 2 or 3 glasses of water with it.
Chances are you're not going to finish that hamburger for a while until your body makes adjustments, and it will be apparent on the outside that something is happening on the inside.

If I bring any in from Texas it'll probably be heifers. Haven't decided if i would buy bred heifers or open. My place is mostly Bahia and common coastal. Some family friends in Texas gave my wife a quarter horse to her when she Graduated high school some six years ago and he never missed a lick.

circlew":1ltcr7rj said:
If I bring any in from Texas it'll probably be heifers. Haven't decided if i would buy bred heifers or open. My place is mostly Bahia and common coastal. Some family friends in Texas gave my wife a quarter horse to her when she Graduated high school some six years ago and he never missed a lick.
Most of East Texas is full of Bahia grass from the coast to the NE area and as far west as I-45 at least.

circlew":224dt2i4 said:
now there were we could see problems with pregnant mares on fescue ... thick placenta or abortion,, but thats with ones that are even raised on it

If you stay east of I-45 (from Houston to Dallas), you should not have a problem as that country will be a lot like that in Alabama. That is normally the higher rainfall area.

What I see at the sale barns that looked like a bargain was young pairs. Pairs weighed 1000 to 1250 and were bringing $700 to $950.

I bought 3 braford bulls,March 2010, Off the BOSS ranch in Marathon, Texas. West Texas. The only thing I noticed was with the water. I put them in a 100x50 lot for a couple days. They wouldnt drink the water, (City water). So I went ahead and turned them out, They went to the beaver pond and drank. As far as grass goes they never missed a lick. I have 60 acres of fescue on one side of the road, and 66 acres of coastal on the other. They've done great on both. Where these bulls came from, they ran 1 cow per 40 acres. Guy owned 12,000 acres. These bulls were on free choice feed a minerals. Was afraid they would dry up, when I got them home, because I was putting them to work, without daily feed. They bloomed. I haven't given them 100lbs of feed since I brought them home. Have done wonderfull. Have no regrets at all.

TexasBred":3vlrdrz3 said:
circlew":3vlrdrz3 said:
Most of East Texas is full of Bahia grass from the coast to the NE area and as far west as I-45 at least.

TB, their is a big difference in the bahia grass in Tyler Texas and the same bahia in Winnie Texas. Most years the moisture content is much higher in the Winnie grass and it does not have the nutritional value as the grass in Tyler. Of course this year what few cows I have are fat as ticks, my thinking is the value of the grass has improved because the drought. Dead grass is dead grass, but I have noticed in other years of drought that my cows did better if they had grass to eat. Most years their are very few marsh cows that cant sh-- over a ten rail fence all year long, and its got nothing to do with being worming or having coc.

Latest posts