Brillion seeder for alfalfa/grass mixes

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have you seen thicker stands using a Brilllion seeder vs. a seed box on a grain drill followed by a roller packer?

If so, were they improved enough to allow you to reduce the seeding rate?

KMacGinley":2jfaa81y said:
Yes to both questions. I have gotten great alfalfa stands with 10lbs. of seed with a brillion seeder.

Been watching this one Steve, was gonna respond but all the info I have is 2nd hand.

KMac, how level/even does the seedbed have to be? Have heard the Brillion will miss patches where the roller gets lifted by a ridge?

I know their real claim to fame is highly accurate seed rate.

I have had "good" luck with an old drill ( Massey 33 ) and packer, but get an urge to buy whenever I see a used Brillion for sale locally.

The only place I had any success with a borrowed brillion was in a prepared seed bed. That wasn;t all that good mostly because of the slight uneveness of the ground and the rocks in the Ozarks.

What are the differences between a Brillion and a Tye? We have had success drilling alfalfa through killed wheat with a pull behind pasture pleaser. We also have drilled winter rye through shortly grazed fescue sod with pretty good success.

dyates":324eq7al said:
What are the differences between a Brillion and a Tye? We have had success drilling alfalfa through killed wheat with a pull behind pasture pleaser. We also have drilled winter rye through shortly grazed fescue sod with pretty good success.

The brillion I used didn;t have openers, just a bunch of wide sprocket looking things. The seed dribled down onto a plate that ran the width of the seeder and the sprocket looking things pushed the seed into the ground. The tye has a colter to cut the sod and openers and press wheels. Looked like this sort of but old and rusty
Brillion.jpg

We disked it twice before planting, as far as the unevenness, I suppose that the seed might not be covered if the cultipackers don't touch the soil, but I don't think this was much of a problem. The first roller levels the seed bed and the second one covers the seed or actually presses it in a 1/4 inch or so.

I dumped orchard grass on top of the alfalfa seed. about 1-2 lbs per acre. I put oats in the big box. You can mimic using a brillion by cultipacking a field, spreading seed from a broadcaster and then cultipacking again. We had success with this before we got ahold of the brillion.

Latest posts