bright red nose bleeds from both nostrils

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a heifer approx. a year and half old. She has been having nose bleeds for about two weeks. What could be the cause?

Could be something stuck in it, IBR, irritated from the forage, etc.
Both nostrils I would lean toward IBR
dun

jw":epg63d0w said:
Dun- what is IBR?

Infectious Bovine Rhinitos (rhinotracheitis). It's also sometimes referred to as red nose. It can also affect the eyes and sort of resembles pink. It's a virus that is generally vaccinated for. But there are some peculiar strains that aren't included in standard vaccines.

dun

dun said:
Could be something stuck in it, IBR, irritated from the forage, etc.
Both nostrils I would lean toward IBR
dun

Dun, you stated "both" would lead you to believe IBR, would you lean towards irritated etc, if it was only one? The reason I ask is I have a 4 yr old that has had a slightly bloody nose, bright red as in this case, for about a week and a half. I first thought fly bites, stuck it, etc. But now I'm wondering. She does not show any other signs, eats well, eyes clear, alert, good condition, lots of energy.

I'll call the vet in the morning but like to check in here, and add the result of the vet in case someone else had the same issue later.

Thanks,

Roy

Just me, but I would think more of something in it irritating it if it's only one side. So, the first thing I would do is check for that. That's one of the time that a head bar or head chain really pays for itself.
But, I'm no vet, just seen more IBR then I care to remember. V the V may way in and add better information.

dun

Can beat that for a reply time...5 minutes

thanks Dun

I'll call the vet and get her in the chute tomarrow and see if I can get a good look up there. I was reading back through some posts and ran across one of yours that referred to "benign neglect". I guess I would have to say I prefer that as well. We would prefer to not use any medications but we also need to be very careful since we are still very new to this game.

Roy

Latest posts