Bright Future revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
I'd like to hear what any of you who have actually used Star Bright Future think of him. We just butchered a steer sired by him. The steer had a 250ish day weight of 856 right before we purchased him, about two weeks off the teat. He grew rapidly, but really didn't put on much weight until I changed the management of him, lowering the protein percentage, and putting him in a more confined area. Also started blending Acco Showmaster finisher in with the Tindle Southern Style. Feb. 14, he weighed in the 940s at the local show. At the county show on Feb 27, he weighed 1008#, a two week gain of 60+ pounds on about 17# per day feed. March 2, having been trailered back from show on 27th, then trailering 40 miles to butcher Monday morning, he weighed 992. Hanging weight 667#, over 67% hanging weight. He would have been a year old on the 7th of March. He placed 3rd in show (not near enough finish for the showring).

BTW, our Char/Herf cross steer posted a similar gain in the same two week period.

greenwillowhereford II":1rmu4ux1 said:
I'd like to hear what any of you who have actually used Star Bright Future think of him. We just butchered a steer sired by him. The steer had a 250ish day weight of 856 right before we purchased him, about two weeks off the teat. He grew rapidly, but really didn't put on much weight until I changed the management of him, lowering the protein percentage, and putting him in a more confined area. Also started blending Acco Showmaster finisher in with the Tindle Southern Style. Feb. 14, he weighed in the 940s at the local show. At the county show on Feb 27, he weighed 1008#, a two week gain of 60+ pounds on about 17# per day feed. March 2, having been trailered back from show on 27th, then trailering 40 miles to butcher Monday morning, he weighed 992. Hanging weight 667#, over 67% hanging weight. He would have been a year old on the 7th of March. He placed 3rd in show (not near enough finish for the showring).

BTW, our Char/Herf cross steer posted a similar gain in the same two week period.

That agrees my thoughts of George's recommendation to me when I was inquiring about linebreeding Online.

Latest posts