Brewer's Mash

Help Support CattleToday:

Parkerson Cattle Co.

Reaction score
Need information on Brewer's mash, Quality, protein, safe amount, how long does it keep we are thinking about buying some to supplement due to drought.. what are some positives and negatives to it.

Was talking to a buddy of mine today who is feeding brewer's grain. He used to feed it alot when he milked. Right now, in this drought, he is feeding 10 lbs per cow per day. It is being delivered in 20 ton loads and it is costing 43 dollars per ton, delivered and he says the storage on it is 2 weeks. He is feeding it on the ground with his tractor front end loader and they are licking the ground to get it. He says he is doing better with it than feeding hay or liquid feed to get them to eat his grown up, dried out grass. I have never fed it and dont have the nutrient answers. Most of the dairymen who are left in this area feed it and several of the beef farmers are doing it in this drought. I know others who are going and picking it up in wagons a ton or so at a time, but I dont know what they are paying for it.

Interesting article in that link that was posted. There are two ethanol plants being built fairly close to me. Might be worth a bit more research.

moocow":2q9z1cll said:
Interesting article in that link that was posted. There are two ethanol plants being built fairly close to me. Might be worth a bit more research.

The ethanol plant that we used to haul from had a dry waste product as well as a wet 'syrup' type product. Guys that were feeding the syrup fed it free choice in large metal tanks - cows love the stuff, didn't seem to have a large problem with flies. This stuff had the consistency of something like Karo syrup. The dry product we called distiller's grain - we mixed in as a supplement and sometimes top-dressed feed with it. I'm sure somebody has some research on it. I will say this - from an economic stand point it was very good.

Last load was about 36% protein. They bag it as it comes off of the truck. Gotta be careful and feed dry hay along with it. We feed about 15lbs. per brood cow/day when needed. Free choice to stuff were finishing along with hay but, we are fairly new to this stuff and still learning what to do but, no problems so far.

Bullbuyer":33kic3jn said:
moocow":33kic3jn said:

I'm sure somebody has some research on it. I will say this - from an economic stand point it was very good.

Yes, it is a cheap feed but, according to an article I read a week or so ago in the WLJ, feeding more than 20 - 30% (I don't remember the exact numbers) of the total diet results in the laying on of body fat as opposed to marbling which is achieved through grain.

I can see where it would add fat and not marble the meat much but, I can tell you one thing, you would not believe what it will make a steer look like in a month on it.