Brewers Grain

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
I am able to pick up some brewers grain from a local distillery. He said he uses 704 pounds of dry for every batch. How much would it weigh after being wet? Also what is the best way to haul it?

The weight will depend upon if the solids are filtered, centrifuged, or just allowed to settle. Weight will probably be 3-4 times what the dry weight was but could vary even more than that.

matkinfarms":232v03y6 said:
I am able to pick up some brewers grain from a local distillery. He said he uses 704 pounds of dry for every batch. How much would it weigh after being wet? Also what is the best way to haul it?

Is it a brewery or distillery ? That will make a big difference in weight and what's in it. Best way to haul depends on you.

It is a brewery and not distillery. Im going to haul it in a few 275 gallon IBC totes and cut the tops off of them. That way they still have the forklift lift bottoms to lift. Talked to the brewer he said they store their spent grain in a standard size tote.

matkinfarms":yi4vmhse said:
It is a brewery and not distillery. Im going to haul it in a few 275 gallon IBC totes and cut the tops off of them. That way they still have the forklift lift bottoms to lift. Talked to the brewer he said they store their spent grain in a standard size tote.

Well depending on his recipe those totes will avg 1500-1700 per tote if full could be more also if doing stouts they are generally heavier and hold more liquid

You were pretty much right on. 1506 is what it weighed. Should I feed it free choice or a limit amount. I got 17 head.

matkinfarms":1r5ju2uc said:
You were pretty much right on. 1506 is what it weighed. Should I feed it free choice or a limit amount. I got 17 head.

Most of the time they don't like it much in the beginning then they go crazy over it 17 head dump it there going to be messing over most unless you have it in a trough. They won't bloat or I never had them too. Currently sold most of my cattle and have 11im keeping they got 15 tons a week

Thanks for all the info. All the cows and bull tore it up as soon as I put it in the trough. The calves didnt eat any of it yet. I put my horses in another pasture since I heard horses are not supposed to eat it.

matkinfarms":qz8cxqip said:
Thanks for all the info. All the cows and bull tore it up as soon as I put it in the trough. The calves didnt eat any of it yet. I put my horses in another pasture since I heard horses are not supposed to eat it.

LoL wife has 2 they are in with unlimited grain can't kill those fat jerks lol

Latest posts