Brewers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
I'm sure there are 100 different threads on this. But I can't find them. Basic guidelines for feeding this? Does and donts? Going to get it tested, but is there a general nutritional value?
Mix it with something? I'm picking up 2000lb tomorrow and just seein how everyone else does it.
Thanks in advance!

I feed this heavily ... I think TB will chime in probably unless he's napping lol I included a basic analysis link. I can tell you this don't just dump the ton out to a few cattle. If any get mud butt your giving too much too fast.put some baking soda in there water if you can. Sometimes cattle do not like BG at first.

http://www.csc-world.com/products-commo ... -analysis/

skyhightree1":2uueelu6 said:
I feed this heavily ... I think TB will chime in probably unless he's napping lol I included a basic analysis link. I can tell you this don't just dump the ton out to a few cattle. If any get mud butt your giving too much too fast.put some baking soda in there water if you can. Sometimes cattle do not like BG at first.

Thanks for the link. I bought one of those 4x4x4 poly tanks and got a big salt bag to haul it in. Do you feed it with buckets and a shovel or what? I was going to try and feed from the bucket on the tractor straight into feed troughs. How many lbs roughly do you feed them a day? Safe to feed lactating and bred cows?

5S Cattle":1zs138m6 said:
skyhightree1":1zs138m6 said:

Thanks for the link. I bought one of those 4x4x4 poly tanks and got a big salt bag to haul it in. Do you feed it with buckets and a shovel or what? I was going to try and feed from the bucket on the tractor straight into feed troughs. How many lbs roughly do you feed them a day? Safe to feed lactating and bred cows?

I feed about minimum of 4 tons a week ... I have some from a brewery that's on dump truck and I dump piles all over the pasture some I get in totes and shovel out piles or in bunks. Mine have been eating it and are used to it. Some days when they are out of hay I will dump a few tons of grain let them eat that then the next day bring in hay I have been alternating it just to see how much hay I really need and if they kept conditioning.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107385&p=1391422&hilit=brewers+grain#p1391422

skyhightree1":q9t6sre5 said:
5S Cattle":q9t6sre5 said:
skyhightree1":q9t6sre5 said:

I feed about minimum of 4 tons a week ... I have some from a brewery that's on dump truck and I dump piles all over the pasture some I get in totes and shovel out piles or in bunks. Mine have been eating it and are used to it. Some days when they are out of hay I will dump a few tons of grain let them eat that then the next day bring in hay I have been alternating it just to see how much hay I really need and if they kept conditioning.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... n#p1391422
Thanks for the info. Was thinking about feeding replacements and steers with this along w mommas and wondering about what kind of gains to expect.

5S Cattle":3clqqo3a said:
Thanks for the info. Was thinking about feeding replacements and steers with this along w mommas and wondering about what kind of gains to expect.

I apologize I do not have specifics... I really need to wake TB up so he can answer your specifics on it. I do know I haven't fed any tubs all winter and cows look great... The tubs were nickeling and diming me and not doing enough. This grain I will say has been great for the calves and made weaning ALOT EASIER. I dumped out grain to calves im weaning that only have eaten brewers grain and then a commercial feed jumpstart in a creep feeder they always go to the grain first then the creep feeder it seems when there bored.

skyhightree1":3uzgylww said:
5S Cattle":3uzgylww said:

I apologize I do not have specifics... I really need to wake TB up so he can answer your specifics on it. I do know I haven't fed any tubs all winter and cows look great... The tubs were nickeling and diming me and not doing enough. This grain I will say has been great for the calves and made weaning ALOT EASIER. I dumped out grain to calves im weaning that only have eaten brewers grain and then a commercial feed jumpstart in a creep feeder they always go to the grain first then the creep feeder it seems when there bored.
That's what I needed to know. If it kept them in good enough condition. All my cows are young so I'll need to start throwing the feed to em to breed back I'd imagine. Hay wasn't the greatest and supplementing them ain't cheap. Til now :banana:

5S Cattle":3cfjt1ei said:
[
That's what I needed to know. If it kept them in good enough condition. All my cows are young so I'll need to start throwing the feed to em to breed back I'd imagine. Hay wasn't the greatest and supplementing them ain't cheap. Til now :banana:

I wish you well I will tell you this they will run you down to get the grain after about a month on it. I literally have moved them all over by keeping a container on trailer they follow you anywhere

skyhightree1":2i47baz7 said:
5S Cattle":2i47baz7 said:
[

I wish you well I will tell you this they will run you down to get the grain after about a month on it. I literally have moved them all over by keeping a container on trailer they follow you anywhere
They're gonna have a helluva time climbing in that 5100M with me lol

5S wet brewers grain is an excellent product. Very safe to feed, hard to overfeed and cattle will gain condition on it. The values in the link Sky gave you may be a bit on the high side but it will still contain excellent crude protein on a dry matter basis (24-26% at least). Just keep in mind that it will be from 50% to 65% moisture so you have to feed a lot of it to get a decent amount of dry matter.....20 lbs. as fed would give from 7 to 10 lbs. of dry matter. You can free choice it or limit feed it. On the steers I'd probably give them what they will clean up. Keep hay available until you have grazing to compliment it.

TexasBred":2gfyzrd5 said:
5S wet brewers grain is an excellent product. Very safe to feed, hard to overfeed and cattle will gain condition on it. The values in the link Sky gave you may be a bit on the high side but it will still contain excellent crude protein on a dry matter basis (24-26% at least). Just keep in mind that it will be from 50% to 65% moisture so you have to feed a lot of it to get a decent amount of dry matter.....20 lbs. as fed would give from 7 to 10 lbs. of dry matter. You can free choice it or limit feed it. On the steers I'd probably give them what they will clean up. Keep hay available until you have grazing to compliment
it.
Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.

5S Cattle":13z6vqtq said:
TexasBred":13z6vqtq said:
5S wet brewers grain is an excellent product. Very safe to feed, hard to overfeed and cattle will gain condition on it. The values in the link Sky gave you may be a bit on the high side but it will still contain excellent crude protein on a dry matter basis (24-26% at least). Just keep in mind that it will be from 50% to 65% moisture so you have to feed a lot of it to get a decent amount of dry matter.....20 lbs. as fed would give from 7 to 10 lbs. of dry matter. You can free choice it or limit feed it. On the steers I'd probably give them what they will clean up. Keep hay available until you have grazing to compliment
it.
Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.
Aggieland would have been the perfect location for a brewery. ;-) (Gig'em)

5S Cattle":1zgdnqw6 said:
Btw what's the shelf life of this stuff? I'm expecting it to ferment/rot
It's already fermented. It might sour a little bit and grow a little mold but never had a problem with it. Use to feed truckloads to dairy cows every week and it would always be getting molded near the end.

TexasBred":1z153hze said:
5S Cattle":1z153hze said:
Btw what's the shelf life of this stuff? I'm expecting it to ferment/rot
It's already fermented. It might sour a little bit and grow a little mold but never had a problem with it. Use to feed truckloads to dairy cows every week and it would always be getting molded near the end.

Yep but summer is the absolute worst

5S Cattle":2kle8clr said:
Where can I get this tested at? Anybody got a number to TAMU?
Don't know if they do testing for individuals or not. Check out dairyone.com . One of the best labs in the country and cheap.

TexasBred":16jvhhqo said:
5S Cattle":16jvhhqo said:
Don't know if they do testing for individuals or not. Check out dairyone.com . One of the best labs in the country and cheap.
Thanks TB

5S Cattle":2a9dcr4r said:

I would like to add not every beer recipe is the same so that test is just that a test of that batch. There is many ingredients that go into different beers. Keep that in mind.