Brewers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":e91mggzj said:
5S Cattle":e91mggzj said:
Where can I get this tested at? Anybody got a number to TAMU?

I would like to add not every beer recipe is the same so that test is just that a test of that batch. There is many ingredients that go into different beers. Keep that in mind.
I thought about that but figured it would be close? You think I'm spinning my wheels tryin to get it tested?

skyhightree1":1hzfknus said:
5S Cattle":1hzfknus said:

I would like to add not every beer recipe is the same so that test is just that a test of that batch. There is many ingredients that go into different beers. Keep that in mind.

Skyhightree <--------- The official beer tester. :lol: :lol: :hide: Funny you would say that. When we use to feed it, the WBG from Budweiser in Houston would test higher than the Miller from Ft. Worth and have about half the moisture content.

S5 a test is never a bad thing if only to satisfy your curiosity and give you a baseline to work around.

5S Cattle":1b7ijelr said:
skyhightree1":1b7ijelr said:

I thought about that but figured it would be close? You think I'm spinning my wheels tryin to get it tested?

I personally wouldn't be worrying about the testing. My test was cattle conditioning.

TexasBred":1b7ijelr said:
skyhightree1":1b7ijelr said:

Skyhightree <--------- The official beer tester. :lol: :lol: :hide: Funny you would say that. When we use to feed it, the WBG from Budweiser in Houston would test higher than the Miller from Ft. Worth and have about half the moisture content.

S5 a test is never a bad thing if only to satisfy your curiosity and give you a baseline to work around.

I have learned a few things about beer testing :lol2: The brewers grain from the Budweiser that I use to buy was a lot dryer I think they press it or something. I never tested it though but when I was ordering they gave me a generic test report.

FYI my vet said don't feed any that's starting to mold to anything pregnant. So I shovel the moldy part to the open heifers I'm feeding up and then feed the "clean" to heifers w calves or on final trimester

5S Cattle":17frwo4u said:
FYI my vet said don't feed any that's starting to mold to anything pregnant. So I shovel the moldy part to the open heifers I'm feeding up and then feed the "clean" to heifers w calves or on final trimester
Fed it to 400 pregnant dairy cows everyday with no problems. It wasn't always molded but most days it was.

TexasBred":1s3xevlv said:
5S Cattle":1s3xevlv said:
Fed it to 400 pregnant dairy cows everyday with no problems. It wasn't always molded but most days it was.
What part of Texas are you in?

5S Cattle":1gm9uaxy said:
TexasBred":1gm9uaxy said:
5S Cattle":1gm9uaxy said:

Central Texas west of Waco.

TexasBred":2nboum7o said:
5S Cattle":2nboum7o said:
TexasBred":2nboum7o said:

Central Texas west of Waco.
10-4. Ain't far from you, just curious as to the difference in climate

You may have a bit more humidity than us but brewers grain will mold in just about any climate after a few days. It's harmless but may be a bit less palatable if you're feeding WBG only. We mixed it in a TMR with other feeds and roughages.

TexasBred":iyd3ldgm said:
You may have a bit more humidity than us but brewers grain will mold in just about any climate after a few days. It's harmless but may be a bit less palatable if you're feeding WBG only. We mixed it in a TMR with other feeds and roughages.

I probably have the most humidity out of us and I feed whatever's in the pile no pregnancy issues.. Like TB said it will mold easily.

Sky

Wanna bet on having the highest humidity lol! We have been feeding it for several years. The boss decided that next year he is going to top dress it prior to breeding. We only feed the two and three year old group and he feels right after calving and getting ready to breed they need a bit more energy. Overall we love the product, labor intensive but free is hard to beat. The cattle love it. We sent a sample to Auburn and had it tested, but I don't have the results here at the house.

Gizmom

gizmom":2nefinz4 said:
Sky

Wanna bet on having the highest humidity lol! We have been feeding it for several years. The boss decided that next year he is going to top dress it prior to breeding. We only feed the two and three year old group and he feels right after calving and getting ready to breed they need a bit more energy. Overall we love the product, labor intensive but free is hard to beat. The cattle love it. We sent a sample to Auburn and had it tested, but I don't have the results here at the house.

Gizmom

Lol you may have me beat in humidity department. I mix mine with ddg when I feel like being nice and spending money. I can see big difference in my cattle since I have unlimited supply of it. I have fed 1/3 of hay I usually feed too.

5S Cattle":2o8p86q2 said:
I'm sure there are 100 different threads on this. But I can't find them. Basic guidelines for feeding this? Does and donts? Going to get it tested, but is there a general nutritional value?
Mix it with something? I'm picking up 2000lb tomorrow and just seein how everyone else does it.
Thanks in advance!

Hows the feeding going ?

IMG_20170501_192807255_zpsr0qlx9fm.jpg

I haven't fed it in a month sky, honestly it's a pain for me to mess with. And it stinks up the barn yard haha. I may run and get some this week. Have some first calf heifers that are getting a little drug down.

5S Cattle":pwozhnvt said:
I haven't fed it in a month sky, honestly it's a pain for me to mess with. And it stinks up the barn yard haha. I may run and get some this week. Have some first calf heifers that are getting a little drug down.

It can be a pain but a dump trailer or dump truck changes things. Yea it does get smelly but I tell ya what I can deal with the smell and the benefits of using it vs not using it.

skyhightree1":n4y93asz said:
5S Cattle":n4y93asz said:

It can be a pain but a dump trailer or dump truck changes things. Yea it does get smelly but I tell ya what I can deal with the smell and the benefits of using it vs not using it.
I feed out of this chemical container I had steam cleaned.

That's a bag the feed store gets their salt in, keeps the feed from getting clogged up in the drain.
So I feed it with a snow shovel into troughs, or straight onto the ground. It's not bad but I haven't needed to do it up til now. Ever fed calves out on it?

5S Cattle":30vo49nd said:
I feed out of this chemical container I had steam cleaned.

That's a bag the feed store gets their salt in, keeps the feed from getting clogged up in the drain.
So I feed it with a snow shovel into troughs, or straight onto the ground. It's not bad but I haven't needed to do it up til now. Ever fed calves out on it?[/quote]

Yes sir that pic above is a 3 month old calf... I have fed out some till slaughter for folks on it as well but mixed it with DDG.

TexasBred":2qyxgl8s said:
5S Cattle":2qyxgl8s said:
TexasBred":2qyxgl8s said:
5S wet brewers grain is an excellent product. Very safe to feed, hard to overfeed and cattle will gain condition on it. The values in the link Sky gave you may be a bit on the high side but it will still contain excellent crude protein on a dry matter basis (24-26% at least). Just keep in mind that it will be from 50% to 65% moisture so you have to feed a lot of it to get a decent amount of dry matter.....20 lbs. as fed would give from 7 to 10 lbs. of dry matter. You can free choice it or limit feed it. On the steers I'd probably give them what they will clean up. Keep hay available until you have grazing to compliment
it.
Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.
Aggieland would have been the perfect location for a brewery. ;-) (Gig'em)
TX A&M will do a protien test for $5 at their labratory. There was a distillery offering it by the gallon for .08 up there last week on craigs list. I am getting some from a moonshine distillery and getting another one lined up for 4 tons a week. Free this time.

BK9954":1dcruz0n said:
TexasBred":1dcruz0n said:
5S Cattle":1dcruz0n said:
Thanks TB. I kinda fell into this deal, talked to the brewer at lunch and by 5:30 had a ton on the back of my flatbed headed to the ranch haha. Was just curious how everyone did it because I didn't know anyone who had experience with it. Dad said they talked about it when he was at A&M for about 30 seconds because back then there wasn't as many breweries around.
Aggieland would have been the perfect location for a brewery. ;-) (Gig'em)
TX A&M will do a protien test for $5 at their labratory. There was a distillery offering it by the gallon for .08 up there last week on craigs list. I am getting some from a moonshine distillery and getting another one lined up for 4 tons a week. Free this time.
Different product BK. You're talking distillers co-products. Brewers grain comes from manufacture of beer. Wet brewers grain normally will test well over 20% crude protein on a 100% dry matter basis.

you guys just haul this stuff in dump trucks and dump it in a pile?

Latest posts