Brewers grain to sell or to feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

mrbell2

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a couple questions for you all. First I curently have a contract with a local brewery in my area to purchase the spent brewers grain that they produce. I have been selling the grain for the last year and have made some nice money, I get around 15 tons a week at the momment. I have been wondering if it would be worth it for me to get into raising cattle myself ? what do you guys think you would do in this situation? Like I said I am getting around 60 tons of brewers grain a month and I am trying to maximize my profits. If I have done my math correctly I can feed at .10 a head per day. Thanks for your replys

i know what id do if i was buying 60 tons of brewers grain every month.id buy me some cows and feed it myself.i sure wouldnt be selling it.

Brewers grain can not be the only ingredient in a well balanced diet and to try would likely leave you with sick animals. Do you have access to other feeds to balance a ration? Are you prepared for the swings of the cattle market? If my memory serves me, we were comfortable adding about 5 lbs of brewers gain to the ration of a 1400 lb dairy cow. Mel

I am pretty sure that CSU was feeding just the Brewers grain and some minerals to all their test cattle. That was all part of their feed study. The Brewers grain consumption was being monitored. But you most certainly can call them and ask. I can pm you the phone number. I know one thing, it spoils and molds. So you have to do certain things to keep it safe for consumption. They fed it free choice. The cattle had it in front of them 24/7.

Waterway65":3g6koqkk said:
Brewers grain can not be the only ingredient in a well balanced diet and to try would likely leave you with sick animals. Do you have access to other feeds to balance a ration? Are you prepared for the swings of the cattle market? If my memory serves me, we were comfortable adding about 5 lbs of brewers gain to the ration of a 1400 lb dairy cow. Mel
That's hardly enough for them to smell.....we fed closer to 40 lbs. per head per day along with the rest of the TMR.

Latest posts