Brewers grain to finish cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
I have been feeding out a couple every year to direct market. This is my first year of having brewers grain and so I am hoping I can use it to cut some feed costs. I don't have anything in it but fuel and time and not much of those.

Can it be used to finish cattle? Would you feed it with anything besides hay? What percent body weight would you feed or free choice? Thanks for any info. you can share.

Steve

SmokinM":1a4zwu8u said:
I have been feeding out a couple every year to direct market. This is my first year of having brewers grain and so I am hoping I can use it to cut some feed costs. I don't have anything in it but fuel and time and not much of those.

Can it be used to finish cattle? Would you feed it with anything besides hay? What percent body weight would you feed or free choice? Thanks for any info. you can share.

Steve

I've never fed it free choice but I do mix with ddg too finish. I generally will feed 7-10 tons weekly of Brewers grain

I feed stillage or slop. Which is the very wet product directly from the distilling process. I finished 8 beefs last year on pasture/hay and stillage alone. I used no other feed. All of these animals were sold either as freezer beef or at the farmers market. All of my customers as far as I know have been very happy. We eat a lot of this beef as well and it's wonderful. I put it out in a trough free choice and they do great on it.

Don't know that it would work that well as the complete feed. Might blend it with corn and do a better job.

Latest posts