Brewers Grain for Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Brewers grain turned into silage from the beer breweries. 350 pounds for $35. Supposed to be pretty good protien. Guy in town feeds his steers out with this. Anyone ever use this or have problems with it.

Guess I am missing the turning it into silage part. We get brewer's grain right from the plant, and it is 25 tons for around $53 per ton. Is someone adding in extra ingredients? Is it that price because it is a small amount and therefore more work to load vs getting a truckload, or is it because of distance from the brewery?
We've not had any issues with it, but that being said, we are changing from it this fall. We put pencil to paper and on an as fed basis, we can pay the same for an 80/20 corn/accuration mix that we are paying for brewer's grain per month and it be a little more balanced feed and also cuts down on tractor use during the winter.

This is in barrels made for longer storage apparently. He said they wont start converting into sugar until the barrel is opened. Do you know the protien content? I am thinking if it is close to 20% then it would be 45% the cost of the breeder cubes I currently supplement with. Breeder cubes at 20% protien are going for $8.90 per 50 pounds here.

BK9954":3h4nwpuo said:
This is in barrels made for longer storage apparently. He said they wont start converting into sugar until the barrel is opened. Do you know the protien content? I am thinking if it is close to 20% then it would be 45% the cost of the breeder cubes I currently supplement with. Breeder cubes at 20% protien are going for $8.90 per 50 pounds here.
Crude protein levels vary considerably on an "as fed" basis but even at the price "per barrel" you quoted is extremely expensive considering you're buying 65% water. On a dry matter basis it's well over $500 a ton.

I get avg of 30 tons per week of brewer grain for $ 0.00. I do not know what you mean by turning it into silage. I have put it into silage bags and silage pigs the only thing that does is manage to make it keep longer. You will still have mold and rot on the outside though. If as was said its pure BG there is nothing else it will ever become but what it is. I have mixed BG with silage before but that's about it.

Here is a link you can use as a reference best thing to do is dry some ad take it have it analyzed

http://www.csc-world.com/products-commo ... -analysis/

TexasBred":2p7qzc4r said:
BK9954":2p7qzc4r said:
Crude protein levels vary considerably on an "as fed" basis but even at the price "per barrel" you quoted is extremely expensive considering you're buying 65% water. On a dry matter basis it's well over $500 a ton.

Yea that's just what I was going to say

TexasBred":2ebu9yu9 said:
BK9954":2ebu9yu9 said:
Yes put that way better off sticking with cubes. I was trying to get a cheaper way to manage the winter.

See the water run off as it was dumped

IMG_20160801_200728281_zpso6hhhgx3.jpg

That pic I posted is about what would be 1000 lbs if you do get it and put it in barrels you need to drill holes in the bottom to let the water out it will keep longer. However , keep in mind the weight is relative to the beer you are brewing as well as your practices of how much water you pull off of the grains after the brew is done.

If you are close to any dairies you might want to talk to them about it. Alot of dairies have fed it over the years, both picked up from the breweries and also dried brewers grain. There is a brewery fairly close that a couple of dairies here take their dump truck to and when it gets loaded they go back and pick up the truck when they call. They all try to get it fed in a week or so. Most of the dairymen here will put a pencil to it and they will constantly try to keep input costs down, and several of them said it was not cost effective. Since I am not privy to their finances, I can't say but it is more water than protein.

farmerjan":a0lgrx4l said:
If you are close to any dairies you might want to talk to them about it. Alot of dairies have fed it over the years, both picked up from the breweries and also dried brewers grain. There is a brewery fairly close that a couple of dairies here take their dump truck to and when it gets loaded they go back and pick up the truck when they call. They all try to get it fed in a week or so. Most of the dairymen here will put a pencil to it and they will constantly try to keep input costs down, and several of them said it was not cost effective. Since I am not privy to their finances, I can't say but it is more water than protein.

If you have to pay for it directly that's the only time I can see it not penciling out. I only have fuel costs in a load I certainly can't buy 30 tons of feed for 100 bucks even if half is water where can you buy 15 tons of feed for 100 bucks even commodity pellets are going to cost more than that per ton. If they are rushing to feed in a week that has to be in summertime which that can pose a problem but if they build a pit like whats used for silage that will help a great deal but they may not be getting as much as I do weekly.

skyhightree1":3lfacamt said:
farmerjan":3lfacamt said:

If you have to pay for it directly that's the only time I can see it not penciling out. I only have fuel costs in a load I certainly can't buy 30 tons of feed for 100 bucks even if half is water where can you buy 15 tons of feed for 100 bucks even commodity pellets are going to cost more than that per ton. If they are rushing to feed in a week that has to be in summertime which that can pose a problem but if they build a pit like whats used for silage that will help a great deal but they may not be getting as much as I do weekly.

Have seen a few get it and bag it like silage, but I don't think they can get nearly as much as you do at a time. And the different nutritionists that the dairies use have the rations figured for them according to how it tests etc. I don't know what they pay, don't think it's alot but it's only 15-20 miles away at most to get it.

farmerjan":27le8r8h said:
[
Have seen a few get it and bag it like silage, but I don't think they can get nearly as much as you do at a time. And the different nutritionists that the dairies use have the rations figured for them according to how it tests etc. I don't know what they pay, don't think it's alot but it's only 15-20 miles away at most to get it.

Yea. I don't mix mine they get it straight no adder but they love it. If pastures close I use bobcat to take them some if not I haul on a trailer and they will get on the trailer and chase the truck down.

IMG_20160923_065529809_zpsv873y09n.jpg

skyhightree1":drnndb3q said:
farmerjan":drnndb3q said:
[

Yea. I don't mix mine they get it straight no adder but they love it. If pastures close I use bobcat to take them some if not I haul on a trailer and they will get on the trailer and chase the truck down.

IMG_20160923_065529809_zpsv873y09n.jpg
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Supa Dexta":1ygok0in said:
I used to get it from half a mile away for free, and it still wasn't worth it for me. Gave up on it.
You probably were not really set up to feed it. It's an excellent feed IF you can get it at a reasonable price.

TexasBred":31xu25j8 said:
Supa Dexta":31xu25j8 said:
I used to get it from half a mile away for free, and it still wasn't worth it for me. Gave up on it.
You probably were not really set up to feed it. It's an excellent feed IF you can get it at a reasonable price.

That is a very true statement I learned really quick what having the right set up meant.

Just wasn't enough of it to make it worth while, was only a ton or 2 every other week. Made the brews inconsistent. Would get a whole bunch all at once and then none for a week or 2 sometimes. Trying to ration it out and land on the right day for a refill was never easy.

That and the guy was always pushing to make money off it - Deal was from the start I'd get rid of it for him since he was going to have to pay to dump it.. And I said if he has someone else who wants to pay for it, by all means have at it, I was just within sight of the brewery so I was the easiest option. The fact its 3/4 water doesn't add much to its value. I'd rather keep my bunks consistent week to week - this is for finishing cattle - the cows dont get nothing special.

Latest posts