brewcellis

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

not for sure if spelling brewcellis right or not but this is going around in some herds and i like to know a little ablut it and what to look for in our herd thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1l5l9ov7 said:
: not for sure if spelling brewcellis right or not but this is going around in some herds and i like to know a little ablut it and what to look for in our herd thanks<p>Perhaps you mean Brucellosis? For yours and your neighbors' sakes I hope not. Brucellosis is a contagious bacterial disease that causes abortions. I believe there is no effective treatment and cattle that have it are separated for slaughter. Many states in the US have been certified free of this disease. Prevention is by vaccination on heifers 4 to 12 months of age. I believe there may be laws that mandate reports of this disease to state and/or federal officials. For this disease and other herd health issues you may wish to check out this website: http://angus.interspeed.net/alot/hh.html<br>Hope this helps. Best wishes for a healthy herd.<br>Jennifer @ Double A Angus Ranch
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":h42vi7oh said:
: not for sure if spelling brewcellis right or not but this is going around in some herds and i like to know a little ablut it and what to look for in our herd thanks<p>I forgot to add that if you are having abortion problems, there are several other diseases and herd health issues that could be the cause. In any case, you may wish to consult your vet.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":17n68yr9 said:
:Hi Becky,<p>Brucellosis is also transmissable to humans and is uncurable<br>and causes very debilitating effects that come and go.<p>Also if you suspect that anyone in your region has a cow<br>that has the disease you need to call a vet and they will <br>notify the proper othorties.<p>Also the new brucellosis vaccine must be addminister<br>between 4-10 monthes of age, after that the female will<br>test hot if you test your herd regularly tested, or you test<br>your females for sales.<p>Good Luck,<p>Michelle<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Michelle-<br>I was not aware that there were different brucellosis vaccines. Last spring our vet vaccinated some of our heifers that were in the 10 to 12 month range...Next time we see him, I'll ask him about the different vaccines and if those older heifers may test positive should we ever sell them.<br>Jennifer
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1kyt46hy said:
:Do not sell good cattle that test hot on an initial bangs test<br>depending on there cycle they may or may not, retest and a short <br>period of isolation may be required, but these females will usually <br>pass a second test, I have been through this, it generaly occurs when <br>heifers are near 12 monthes of age at time of vacination, in fact the new<br>vacine can be given up to 12 monthes but not after, we do everything before<br>8 monthes of age just to be safe, as our females are for long term breeding<br>and some are sold to other producers, I will try to get the name I have a group <br>of heifers comming due for shots & dehorns so I'll get the name of the new vac <br>and post it for you but I am almost shure it is the only one in use now in the U.S.<p>Michelle
<br>