Breeds Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

AAOK":3ma54c91 said:
After looking for about 10-15 minutes of not saying a word, he announced "They look just like Angus, except a whole lot better!!" ;-)
Well, except the Maine-Anjou are red and white - aren't they? ;-)

Curious where this is going. Have what I believe to be a Black Maine....maybe a cross, but sure doesn't have the angus phenotype, based on the red and black angus I have. She had a heifer calf this year that's color is getting darker day by day, but not black yet... IMHO :D CW

Favorites: (Because I don't know any better)

Black Angus
Red Angus

Dislikes: (See above)

I alwasy thought they were red and white, but lately the few I've seen are black and white. Wonder where the black came from?

dun

Angus Guy said:
AAOK

If you descride your mane's as angus look alikes why not raise angus?[/quote

I do raise Angus. I also have some Main cows. Like the Mains, love the Angus. Angus look alikes never. go to a few more shows and them you will " jest"

Scotty

Scotty

I'm a little dense tonight. So will you explain last sentence? thanks a bunch.

My Angus and my Mains cattle will never be confused for the other. Both show their breed. If you can't tell a main for an Angus get out of the biz.

Scotty

Really I don't want anyone out because they can't tell one from the other. But I feel being able to recognize breeds is important.

Scotty

I like
1.Brangus
2.Simmental
3.Angus
4. Herefords are ok

Dislike (in general)
1. Belgian Blue
2. Chiania
3. Highland

charx
Red Poll
Brangus

dislike
(anything with horns)
(anything that does not have length, height or good conformation)
(anything with a bad disposition/temperament)

Angus Guy":amm46ib9 said:
AAOK

If you descride your mane's as angus look alikes why not raise angus?

O.K. O.K.......It was the Angus breeder who said my Maine-Anjou cows looked like Angus, except a whole lot better. Twasn't me. My cattle are all black now, but we started with Red/White purebreds (not fullbloods) in 1990. I would never mistake a Maine for an Angus, however there are some big name MA breeders around the country who are getting them too small framed, too light boned, and not extended the way a good MA should be. I do like that 1/16 Angus blood though to get 'em black. That's all the Angus I want.

And if you want to talk about Showing them, bring it on. We only did Junior shows with our kids, but we made every Jr. Nat'l from 1991 through 2002. We even made an additional 44 jackpot shows one year.

Latest posts