Breeds Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

~

Favorites

Simmentals
Pinzgauers
Beefmasters

Dislikes

I haven't met a breed that I didn't like in some way.

Breed popularity is one of the oldest arguments in the cattle business. Bottom line - whatever works in your environment, and especially, whatever makes you money, is the best breed for you.

In our little corner of Alberta, with 6-7 months of winter with foot upon foot of snow and lots of days of -30 F temps, slick-haired cattle are not the best choice. Galloways, Highlands, Welsh Blacks, I've seen 'em all grzing through deep snow while my Tarentaise X Angus cross cows were huddling in the bush.

A buddy of mine tried raising purebred Brahmans a few years back. Their first winter was a wreck - the bull froze his nuts off and two cows froze their teats, bad. Good looking cattle in their own right with plenty to offer - just thrown in to something they didn't have a chance at.

So like I said, whatever you can make a living at, more power to ya. :)

Red Angus
Angus
Charlais (the right kind of Charlais that is especially when it is crossed with Red Angus)

Dislikes
Anything that the buyers discount for, like spotted Simmitals, or dark greys coats and rat tails.

BRG":3teq69on said:
Thanks, looking forward to the conversations.
BRG - A great big "WELCOME" to the Cattle Forum Breeds Board! I accessed your Website - and was impressed with your presentation. I am sure that you will find that the Ranchers on this Board are very knowledgeable and dedicated to improving their Cattle BUSINESS. It appears to me that you will be an asset to our exchange of views here.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc, I hope I can be of some help and hopefully I learn a thing or two.

Welcome BRG! Its a pleasure having you on the Cattle Board. There will be some great conversations to come in the near future, so I hope that you partake in them. Just to let you know, I am a Reigstered Seedstock Breeder of fine Hereford Cattle. Once again, welcome to the board! :cboy:

Hey there BRG. We've used Red Angus for the past fifteen years now, and I have to say you've got a great selection on your site there. Very beautiful females! Welcome to the boards! :cboy:

Thanks guys for the great welcome. We try real hard to have top females with alot of performance.

1. santa gertrudis
2. brahman
3. heredford

dislike

1. Charolais
2. brangus
3. beefmaster

I bad with the my dislike pick pick because i had be attack by all three breeds.

if you keep doing it long enough you'll get attacked by the other three too. i promise.

Latest posts