breeds and genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

1)How many total cattle breeds are there? 2)Does anyone know of any relatively recent research done on genetic effects on cattle temperament/behavior? If so, please send author names or journal/article titles. Thanks

[email protected]

The attached site has most of the known cattle breeds, both dairy and beef. For research on temperment, MARC in Clay Center would be your best bet

dunmovin farms

Breeds of Cattle

There's a new cattle 'breed' created every few weeks, it seems, so it would be hard to answer that question. You might look at Dr. Temple Grandin's website <A HREF="http://www.grandin.com">www.grandin.com</A> for info on genetics and temperment. Good luck...

1)How many total cattle breeds are
> there? 2)Does anyone know of any
> relatively recent research done on
> genetic effects on cattle
> temperament/behavior? If so,
> please send author names or
> journal/article titles. Thanks

[email protected]

Can anyone provide me with a good research based (unbiased) source of information on different breeds of cattle? We are looking for a new breed to incorporate into our Angus/Simmental cross breeding program to maximize heterosis. At the same time we do not want to give up any of the good growth and carcass characteristics we already have. I've had mainy breeders make claims about how much their breed could add to our program. I feel each breed inherently has certain characteristics. Within each breed will be sires that excel in any individual trait. Each breed should have strengths and weaknesses that can be maximized or minimized through sire selection. What I would like to have is a by breed ranking of all the important characteristics in modern cattle production. For each trait I would like to rank each breed from best to worst. I feel this information would enable us to select the best breed to cross into our current Angus/Simmental based herd. Thank you.

> There's a new cattle 'breed'
> created every few weeks, it seems,
> so it would be hard to answer that
> question. You might look at Dr.
> Temple Grandin's website
> <A HREF="http://www.grandin.com">www.grandin.com</A> for info on
> genetics and temperment. Good
> luck...

> 1)How many total cattle breeds are

[email protected]

> Can anyone provide me with a good
> research based (unbiased) source
> of information on different breeds
> of cattle? We are looking for a
> new breed to incorporate into our
> Angus/Simmental cross breeding
> program to maximize heterosis. At
> the same time we do not want to
> give up any of the good growth and
> carcass characteristics we already
> have. I've had mainy breeders make
> claims about how much their breed
> could add to our program. I feel
> each breed inherently has certain
> characteristics. Within each breed
> will be sires that excel in any
> individual trait. Each breed
> should have strengths and
> weaknesses that can be maximized
> or minimized through sire
> selection. What I would like to
> have is a by breed ranking of all
> the important characteristics in
> modern cattle production. For each
> trait I would like to rank each
> breed from best to worst. I feel
> this information would enable us
> to select the best breed to cross
> into our current Angus/Simmental
> based herd. Thank you.

Look into Wagyu Cattle. In the USA today we have gotten away fro quality in the meat, to quantity. Ask cattle buyers, are we not looking for a hot carcass weight of 700 lbs that grades prime or choice with Yield grades of 1 or 2 ? That spells wagyu crossed with angus/simmental. I have friends who bred their simmental's to wagyus and had this result, the same is happening with angus. Look up Wagyus on the internet, look at Kansas State Univ. experiment with Wagyus and Charolois.These cattle eliminate birthing problems, are very hardy, have ecellent temperment, and the meat marbles better than any... downfall, they as a breed don't grow as well, as large and as fast as the angus or simmental, but cross them, get the best of both breeds.

[email protected]

Latest posts