Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

zmason

Reaction score
On an average, how many straws of semen does it take to breed a fertile cow?

Thanks,
Zane

One straw per cow is the general usage... although, with expensive semen I've seen people try to "split" the straw.

TheBullLady":17y80y2d said:
One straw per cow is the general usage... although, with expensive semen I've seen people try to "split" the straw.
I had a friend that, several years when the semen was in the Ampules and expensive at $5..00 an amp would quite often split the amps. I have known him to divide it 3 times once and settled all 3 cows. He was quiet successful by splitting the amps.

Splitting a $5. straw? Seems like the labor would cost more than the straw! LOL.

We have some Longhorn straws on storage we plan to use on some of our next breedings that are in the $50 to $150. range. I've also heard that there are some Angus straws out there selling for $500. a straw....

One Longhorn bull's semen we want to use is $100. a straw...problem is, there is a 10 straw minimum purchase.... sigh...

Running Arrow Bill":2xaoq2r8 said:
Splitting a $5. straw? Seems like the labor would cost more than the straw! LOL.

We have some Longhorn straws on storage we plan to use on some of our next breedings that are in the $50 to $150. range. I've also heard that there are some Angus straws out there selling for $500. a straw....

One Longhorn bull's semen we want to use is $100. a straw...problem is, there is a 10 straw minimum purchase.... sigh...

Keynote straws can go for $1000. i'd be a little nervous a.i.'ing at that price!

Bill that was in the 60's and 70's when $5.00 was like a $30.00 or $40.00 straw today.
We coulld get most bulls for $1.00 or $2.00

Where some of our best Texas Longhorn bulls are costing anywhere up to $250 a straw, we split the straws whenever possible. However, be aware, where a straw will usually contain up to 50 million "wigglers", splitting the straws means only half is inseminated into each cow's reproductive tract. Splitting straws seems to work best, esp with heifers which have a smaller tract than a mature cow. The problem with sexed semen is there are only 5 million cells are in a straw, (the heifer sexed semen that contains 10 million is actually intended for embryo transfer). That means reserve it for A.I.ing your heifers and splitting it isn't really a good choice. Statists show that with mature dairy cows (Holstein) with large reproductive tracts, sexed semen has only a 15 percent success rate-NOT Good. From what we understand dairymen are using it mostly with their heifers. But, there again Holsteins are larger and have a larger cavity than beef cows. If you synchronize and do everything right and they should come into standing heat at the same time, hopefully you can get 2 cows bred with one straw. Splitting it 3 ways is not advisable. Otherwise, the rule of thumb is expect to use an average of 1 1/2 straws per cow. But, if you don't breed in the window of 12 hours after standing heat, you may as well be squirting it on the ground. Timing is everything.

i helped my neighbor breed donors one time and he split straws between donors and had very good luck. i asked him what the straw was, and he said meyer 734. price was $1500 at the time. i was nervous after he told me that.

Some Bucking bulls are going for $800 a straw these days. It makes you be VERY, VERY careful. We triple check everything. A person must be extremely attention to detail oriented to A.I. successfully. But, I know what you mean. It doesn't matter how long you've been A.I. ing, it's always a relief and you're happy when they don't come back into heat!

Latest posts