BREEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

WATH YOU THINNK WILL BE BETTER TO CROSS, A CHAROLAIS COWS TO BLACK ANGUS BULLS OR BLACK ANGUS COWS TO CHAROLAIS BULLS, FOR GENERAL PORPUSES, MY BUSSINES IS SALE THE CALVES AT THE BORDER WITH TEXAS OR NEW MEXICO.

Obviously I would go with an Angus bull on the char cows.
They should be market toppers.

I think it depends-

if you can get some mature angus cows and low birthweight charolais bull i'd go that route. in my opinion angus will cross well with more breeds than charolais will so if you want to switch to another bull later on that would give you more leeway. plus angus cows are really good mothers whereas charolais can be, but they can also be too big to be efficient and might take more groceries to ensure a calf the following season. of course generally speaking charolais cows bred to an angus bull should be able to spit the calf right out, if you have can afford to feed them.

True; but I am assuming that he already has the cows.
If not, buying the Angus cows would be the best route to go.

la4angus":3lk4lnmd said:

The original question was black angus cows with charolais bull or charolais cows with angus bull.

Anonymous":2h5csla0 said:
la4angus":2h5csla0 said:

The original question was black angus cows with charolais bull or charolais cows with angus bull.
OK. I missed the Black Angus cows with Char bull. My Mistake.
Win Bush Win

JFH":37s5wdod said:
WATH YOU THINNK WILL BE BETTER TO CROSS, A CHAROLAIS COWS TO BLACK ANGUS BULLS OR BLACK ANGUS COWS TO CHAROLAIS BULLS, FOR GENERAL PORPUSES, MY BUSSINES IS SALE THE CALVES AT THE BORDER WITH TEXAS OR NEW MEXICO.

You can't find a much better momma than a black angus cow (except a black baldy)- If you than cross back to charolais bulls you have a very marketable calf. Many of the commercial guys in this area use black cows and charolais bulls as a terminal cross. Shouldn't have much calving problem as long as you are not using the charolais on heifers- they work good on mature cows.

You will also find that if you use moderate sized angus cows that you can run more cows on your grazing than if you were larger framed charolais- and they don't require as much hay in the winter.

Angus bull to charolais cow. lot easier calvin and they do make some nice lookin calves

joe