breeding young heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just purchased 4 angus heifers, about 650 lbs. The guy I bought them from could only tell me they where 12 to 15 months old. He claims they are ready to breed now, but I think its a little early. I am going to put them with our angus bull, he will be 3yrs in March. What is the best way to know they are ready? Should I consult a vet to be sure? I have pictures I could send if someone could give me their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

> I just purchased 4 angus heifers,
> about 650 lbs. The guy I bought
> them from could only tell me they
> where 12 to 15 months old. He
> claims they are ready to breed
> now, but I think its a little
> early. I am going to put them with
> our angus bull, he will be 3yrs in
> March. What is the best way to
> know they are ready? Should I
> consult a vet to be sure? I have
> pictures I could send if someone
> could give me their opinion, it
> would be greatly appreciated.

10 to 12 months sounds more like it when is your calving season?

dont rush to breed them! you will have years to regret it the dammage done will never be repaired

we use a weight threshold as well as age after years of buying heifers bred to young and finding these are now not in the herd

1000 lbs min or 15 months regards Art

[email protected]

If you want to calf in March/April wait till june/July to put them with the bull. Depedngin on what the mature size should be, 650 is not a bad weight to breed them. That's based on the 65% of live weight rule, which means they would mature at around 1000 lbs. We have alwasy bred our heifers at about 15 months or 650-700 lbs and never had problems. The keys are, are they cycling, what kind of condition are they in. A fat 650 lbs is a poor choice, a muscled and not too fat 650 is ok. All a vet will be able to tell you is if they are cycling or are getting close to being old enough to cycle. All of our cows but one are in the 1050 to 1150 range of weights when in moderate body condition.

dun

angus breed at a lighter weight, and alot of times at a younger age. breeds mature differently.it might not hurt to go with the 12 month and give them a couple of months more, depending on when you want calves? if you are using an angus bull with light birth weight it should be o.k. then. i have pulled black calvws too.

[email protected]

OK, no one asked, and I don't breed Angus, but isn't 650# a bit small for a 12 to 15 month old heifer? Either they had low weaning weights, or they might not be as old as you were told???

I think 650# is about the minimum weight to breed a heifer in most breeds. As a reference, we usually wean our Murray Grey heifers in the 500-700# range at 210 days. Then we breed at 12 to 14 months of age - usually closer to the 14 months.

I would like to see your heifers closer to the 800# range before breeding, but that's my preference. Just remember, an April breeding means a January calf, so take your preferred calving season into consideration, too.

Be sure to have your vet fertility check your bull before putting him in with the heifers. This should be done each year, and prevents a lot of wondering down the road in some cases.

If your bull has been used to breed before, he should catch the heifers pretty quickly. However, sometimes the combination of a virgin bull and heifers can add a few weeks to the breeding season by the time everyone gets the process figured out.

It wouldn't hurt to have your vet do pelvic diameter measurements on the heifers before you breed them. Pelvic diameter definitely has a bearing on calving ease.

While the vet is doing the pelvic diameter measurements, he can do a quick reproductive check as well.

Heifer development

<A HREF="http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/ansci/g02041.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/ansci/g02041.htm</A>

dun

I haven't been able to check in for a week or so. Looks like we have two Craigs here now. Just for the record, I'll try to remember to sign with Craig-TX from here on out.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Craig-TX

Latest posts