breeding twins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am new to everything about cows. I know of a year old black Angus that was born a twin, rejected by it's mother and was hand raised on a bottle. So in short she is like a big dog. To save her from the butcher she needs to be able to breed. Everyone tells me that she won't breed because of her being a twin but no one can tell me why. Anyone know exactly why a twin wouldn't breed? Thanks!

[email protected]

If she was born twin to a heifer there is no reason why she won't breed. If she was born twin to a bull the odds are in the neighborhood of 95% that she is a freemartin. Freemartins have some male sexual organ influence. May have a vestual penis, no ovaries, no uterus, etc.

dunmovin farms

> I am new to everything about cows.
> I know of a year old black Angus
> that was born a twin, rejected by
> it's mother and was hand raised on
> a bottle. So in short she is like
> a big dog. To save her from the
> butcher she needs to be able to
> breed. Everyone tells me that she
> won't breed because of her being a
> twin but no one can tell me why.
> Anyone know exactly why a twin
> wouldn't breed? Thanks!

What about a bull that was born a twin? Should he be normal? Also, would that make him more likely to sire twin calves?

Thanks

> I am new to everything about cows.
> I know of a year old black Angus
> that was born a twin, rejected by
> it's mother and was hand raised on
> a bottle. So in short she is like
> a big dog. To save her from the
> butcher she needs to be able to
> breed. Everyone tells me that she
> won't breed because of her being a
> twin but no one can tell me why.
> Anyone know exactly why a twin
> wouldn't breed? Thanks!

http://www.GulfCoastCharters.com
[email protected]

The bull would be normal. He wouldn't sire more twins, but he would be more likely to sire daughters that had more twins

dunmovin farms

> What about a bull that was born a
> twin? Should he be normal? Also,
> would that make him more likely to
> sire twin calves?

> Thanks

Male calves can rebreed but a female born twin to a male can not breed. This is because the male hormone testosterone is present in the female. The female then has low levels of estrogen. The heifer calf is then called a freemartin. A female born twin to a female can also be bred.