Breeding Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
Dear Cattle Board Members,

I want to see what you all think about these crosses:

Black Limousin bulls crossed with Black Angus Cows?
Black Angus bulls crossed with SimmyXAngus cows, Limo cows, Blond cows, Black Gelbvieh cows, and Aubrac cows?
Char bulls breeding black angus cows?

My commerical herd use to be boring, the regular Angus bull on commerical hereford cows. Now, I want to bring in the European breeds and cross them on british cattle. I think that I will have thicker, more stout calves, and I think they will bring more at the local Livestock sale barn. I am really doing my research and studied mostly all these European breeds and I have noted that all of these European breeds I want to import into my herd are very thick and the cows milk well. So, what do you think of my matings? I want your alls hoest opinions.

Thats a lot of different directions to go. Figure what you want for an end product, are replacements a factor, most of these crosses are going to increase your frame size whitch will increase maint cost if you keep calves. I have seen Limo/angus crosses work very well and the feedlots seem to love simmy/angus calves. We cross Gelbvieh/Red angus with success. Keep in mind you will end up with grey rat tails occassionally with some of these crosses on black cows.

Sage, I figure that I will sell all the calves in the Fall or Early January of each year. I have figured that I will put around 100 lbs. or more on the calves after weaning so that they are somewhat fleshy when sold at the livestock sale.

Well I like too keep the cowherd "boring". An Angus x Hereford cross moma cow is functional, economical, and just about bomb proof. I would not change that; but if you want POUNDS I would look for an 8 framed, heavy boned, meat wagon type Black polled Gelbvieh bull with growth EPDs in the top 10 percent of the breed too AI all your cows too. That ought to get you 75 lbs a calf improvement over the Herf/Angus cross calves easily. Just don't mess up your cow herd and keep the heifers.

Brandon, I am not putting down the Hereford X Angus cross. I am just saying that we have been breeding this cross for so long, that I am ready for a change. So, this is what my plans are to do, the ones I listed above. I may keep a few females to kepp in herd, but not many.

Patience and a plan is what makes money in the cattle business. Changing your cowherd quickly raises costs usually too much.

handydandy":39f0mne1 said:
Patience and a plan is what makes money in the cattle business. Changing your cowherd quickly raises costs usually too much.
That is true, but I am going to be culling out some of my older brood cows and I am going to be getting rid of some of my older bulls. Also, I have a Fall group of calves to sell at the end of next month or early January. Some of the money that is made off what I sell, goes back into paying land taxes and also an unpaid bill to the Coop. I bought a new squeezs chute. It is a foremost. I like it a lot. It is very handy.

I have a quick question for you all. Have you all ever sold your cattle over the Superior Livestock Auction on TV that comes on Direct TV channel 379? If so, how did your cattle sell? I was thinking about doing that each year. I will be able to sell one group of steer calves and one group of heifers. Let me know if any of you have ever tried it out. Thanks!

Hill Creek Farm":1kaywpjs said:
My commerical herd use to be boring, the regular Angus bull on commerical hereford cows. Now, I want to bring in the European breeds and cross them on british cattle. I think that I will have thicker, more stout calves, and I think they will bring more at the local Livestock sale barn. I am really doing my research and studied mostly all these European breeds and I have noted that all of these European breeds I want to import into my herd are very thick and the cows milk well. So, what do you think of my matings? I want your alls hoest opinions.

If you want to change things up so as not be boring use a Red Angus bull in your herd. This way you won't lose what you had and you won't mess up what you do have. If you feel compelled to use a Continental bull, use him as a terminal sire.
--Julian

Actually, I just got done chatting with a Blonde breeder in Kansas. I am purchasing 15 bred heifers. Also, I have purchased 2 registered Limo bulls from a breeder in TN., and I am heading to a Black Angus Bull Sale in Lynchburg Virginia on December 8th to check out the Angus bulls. I think I am going to make the trip Thursday to see what they have to offer in the Black angus sale. Take care everyone.

I wouldn't put too many breeds in the mix or you'll end up with mongrels and no uniformity. Lots of breeds cross well with each other. Pick 2 or 3, plan things out, and stick with it. I still think a good continental bull on black or red baldies is a good way to go. What kind of bull, and what color, depends on what sells well in your area.

If you are looking for a good cross with hereford x angus I would suggest either Simmental or Gelbveih. I like both those crosses, but especially the Gelbveih. You should end up with some really thick growthy calves either way. Keep in mind though that by adding either of those breeds into your cow herd you may increase your cow size. But, that would depend on what size they are already. I've seen plenty of hereford cows and angus cows that are as big as the Gelbveih. Another thing with the Gelbveih is that they are a tremendously maternal breed. Good milkers, and have early fertility, which can cause problems if you don't pull bulls or if the neighbours bulls like to visit. We have an Angus x Gelbveih heifer that has cycled 3 times already and she is only 8 months old.

VanC":15ii5pwi said:
I wouldn't put too many breeds in the mix or you'll end up with mongrels and no uniformity. Lots of breeds cross well with each other. Pick 2 or 3, plan things out, and stick with it. I still think a good continental bull on black or red baldies is a good way to go. What kind of bull, and what color, depends on what sells well in your area.
Black cattle sell best in my neck of the woods. I have my plan and I know which direction I am heading.

randiliana":3uj3awsz said:
If you are looking for a good cross with hereford x angus I would suggest either Simmental or Gelbveih. I like both those crosses, but especially the Gelbveih. You should end up with some really thick growthy calves either way. Keep in mind though that by adding either of those breeds into your cow herd you may increase your cow size. But, that would depend on what size they are already. I've seen plenty of hereford cows and angus cows that are as big as the Gelbveih. Another thing with the Gelbveih is that they are a tremendously maternal breed. Good milkers, and have early fertility, which can cause problems if you don't pull bulls or if the neighbours bulls like to visit. We have an Angus x Gelbveih heifer that has cycled 3 times already and she is only 8 months old.
I am getting rid of pretty much all teh Hereford cows. Very old cows and bad udders. The bull, well, I think one of them is around 7 years old or older. I don't like keeping bulls that long and he is getting pretty mean. When they get that way, it's time for them to hit the road.

Hill Creek Farm":16a5696e said:
VanC":16a5696e said:
Black cattle sell best in my neck of the woods. I have my plan and I know which direction I am heading.

Coat color is not the only reason for uniformity

certherfbeef":2nzgl7mu said:
Coat color is not the only reason for uniformity

Excellent point. Too often producers only look at color and claim the calves are uniform when that's about all that is common among them. A narrow weight range, muscle, frame size are also part of the uniformity equation.

dun

If I remember correctly, shouldn't your commercial cowherd be carrying or raising your 700 ET calves by now. How are you going to sell these calves when you have already moved on to something different.