Breeding the Angus Big!

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn":1ebs6y1q said:
la4Angus,
I read somewhere that Aussies didnt want Angus from the US because they were not pure, so YOU must be lying. :lol:
Yeah, probaly so. I better change my name to mtnboy.

jnowack, the scur gene and the horn gene are separate.

Polled has to do with the horn gene, scurs don't.

Polled with scurs is not an oxymoron.

la4angus":npjz8wvn said:
MikeC":npjz8wvn said:
I read awhile back that the Aussies didn't want Angus from the U.S. because they weren't pure.
Sales of semen from First Edition into Australia is running second behind Canada.

Lloyd, In no way did I mean that today's Angus do not fit what they are doing in Australia, looks like they are making them bigger now from reading the article.

The article I spoke of about the Aussies not wanting U.S. angus genetics was just after the "Size Up" of them in the U.S. back in the early 90's. They were very critical of the Angus genetics here, especially the "Lowline" breeders down there.

I am glad your semen sales are doing good there and here. I might try him on some angus heifers I have. You take orders, or do I go through a stud service?

SEC":idpf6dht said:
jnowack, the scur gene and the horn gene are separate.

Polled has to do with the horn gene, scurs don't.

Polled with scurs is not an oxymoron.

Yes the polled (P) and horned gene (p) are a different gene pair than the scur and non-scur genes. But the scur gene theory says that scurs are dominant in bull and recessive in females. It also says that no scurred animal has ever been proven homozygous polled, which means that all scurred animals are heterozyous polled. So while the polled/horned locus is different from the scurred locus, the expression of scurs in dependent on the Pp genotype.

Fair enough, never said they could be homo polled with scurs.

Yes, the scurs will manifest themselves in bulls/steers.

How would one explain a large number of animals sired from a bull to have scurs?

MikeC":ldr54wv9 said:
I am glad your semen sales are doing good there and here. I might try him on some angus heifers I have. You take orders, or do I go through a stud service?
I can take your order and give it to one of our retailers, but as you are already doing business with Cattle Visions who is also one of our retailers , it would be simpler for you to order the semen directly from them.

Thanks for the confidence.

SEC":sgdtze51 said:
Fair enough, never said they could be homo polled with scurs.

Yes, the scurs will manifest themselves in bulls/steers.

How would one explain a large number of animals sired from a bull to have scurs?

I assume we are talking about a registered angus bull bred to registered angus cows throwing a lot of scurs.

The angus breed is almost all homozygous polled. Some would say they all are. Given than scurs are not expressed but may be carried by homo polled animals, there could be a lot of scur genes floating around in angus cattle that are undetectable until a horn gene is present. The bull that has a lot of scurred progeny is most likely a hetero polled non scur carrier. \

If the bull in question carried the scur gene and was smooth polled, then he was homo polled. If this were the case then you would probably not see very many scurs out of him because almost all of the angus cows are homo polled and the resulting calves would be also.

Latest posts