Breeding suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

WinterSpringsFarm

Reaction score
It'll be a while till I breed her, but I tend to plan well in advance on these types of things. She's a 3/4 sim Pays to Believe x Steel Force. She needs her rump leveled out, a little more length hooks to pins, and a better tail set. Her docility is an issue as well. I don't need a +20CE and -5BW type of bull. I prefer the +8CE and 0BW type.

Fire away with thoughts, opinions or questions.

Are you going back pb sim or Angus?
I'm not up all that much on SIM. I bred a guys SIM cow to XXP 15355048 by mistake he's a$100 straw bull, but the result is great, he adds length and his doc is good. His ced and bw may not be where you would like but wouldn't bother me. He has a son Extension 18579001 I'll use alot this fall.

If your looking for an Angus Bull, I think that Tex Playbook 5437 would check off all the boxes for the criteria that your searching for. He's + 10 CED, .1 BW, +35 DOC, and has excellent muscle shape and thickness.

We just had a Pays to Believe X Grandmaster heifer calve last week. She had a nice bull calf by TJ Main Event. The calf was unassisted. I will try to get decent picture tomorrow. The calf seems to have adequate bone for being out of a reasonable calving ease bull in my opinion. I have some cows bred to the same bull due soon and I`m looking forward to seeing what he does on a mature cow after seeing this calf.

NEFarmwife":3qvkt14l said:
At state fair, saw a LOT of Colburn Primo and they looked like they'd provide you exactly what you're needing. You could spot those colburns out of every crowd.
Primo for a virgin heifer?
bottom 10% for bw and calving ease
bottom 5% docility

BUT they probably have really nice hair.... ;-)

Son of Butch":bwidj61l said:
NEFarmwife":bwidj61l said:
At state fair, saw a LOT of Colburn Primo and they looked like they'd provide you exactly what you're needing. You could spot those colburns out of every crowd.
Primo for a virgin heifer?
bottom 10% for bw and calving ease
bottom 5% docility

BUT they probably have really nice hair.... ;-)
I did not read that she was a heifer and my photos are blocked on my work computer. I can however tell she is now, with pics loaded on my phone.

Jd720 that Main Event calf looks nice!

Franke Wide Range is one I haven't looked at much, Stepping Stone I heard is not heifer safe even though his numbers indicate he isn't bad. But I do like him.

Flying L I'll check that bull out, haven't seen him before.

On my list was W/C Bullseye and ACW Ironhide (if he was even available still) and a few others.

She has a beautiful front end. Does need "beefing" up in the rear quarters - which probably comes from the Steel Force. He is real hot & cold - can give you very "fine" cattle - IMHO
Few bulls:
Grand Master #2281133 - - old bull - works well in my herd
Sand Ranch Hand #2290140 - very old bull - I am going to try to find some more semen - wasn't used much, but have a few cows in herd & my last raised clean up bull is by him. Awesome feet & legs - great package - very showable.
#2900283 W/C EXECUTIVE ORD 8543B - my top calves are by him - expensive semen
#2983443 THSF LOVER BOY B33 - love his calves - only had a few - just sold Jan heifer to repeat buyer for junior project
#3028710 TKCC CLASSIFIED - CE 6 - but I have used on heifer - sold c/c with Classified heifer last year - shown all last year & this year in Indiana - tough competition - in top 3 at state
#2785174 W/C BF INNOCENT MAN - may not work - super correct and balanced, but needs pretty stout mom to keep your size. I use him on my "big girls".

Thanks y'all. I'm looking at all the suggestions and doing some thinking.

Jeanne I'm surprised her back half isn't bigger, her dam has a quite the rear on her. ; )

Latest posts