Breeding Stock

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How do you know if a bull or heifer calf is worth keeping for breeding stock? What do you look for? What if you know nothing or very little about it's parents? Thank you

[email protected]

If it is a bull, the odds are it isn't worth keeping. Harsh but true. For every bull that is evaluated by AI studs very few make the cut, and even those that make it into production, only a low percentage are still around after a couple of calf crops hit the ground. Even with the best genetics, you have no way of knowing what the bull will be able to do until he starts siring calves. If he isn't any good, you've lost a couple of years. With the availability of proven moderate priced bulls in the various studs, why take chances. However, if you know his parentage for several generations on both sides, they breed consistantly the type of animal you want, for natural service they would be a decent gamble. If they are unknown, well, even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while. You may get lucky and have an average bull, you may be very lucky and have an above average bull, odds are you will not have either of these happen. I personally feel that 90% of the bulls being used in herds today should have been cut and eaten. The point is, ( I know I'm lousey at making points), why gamble when there are proven or at least known bulls available. If you find a rancher that is cycling out one of his older bulls to make room for unrelated genetics, if you like his calves, you may be able to acquire him for little more then slaughter prices.

dunmovin far
> How do you know if a bull or
> heifer calf is worth keeping for
> breeding stock? What do you look
> for? What if you know nothing or
> very little about it's parents?
> Thank you