Breeding Soundness Exams

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am being told that the electro probe method of collecting a bull's semen can cause the bull to become sterile. What has been everyone's experience with the usage of this light electric shock to the prostate as a means of causing ejaculation and thus collection of semen? Have you seen any harmful effects to the bull as a result of this procedure? Thanks Mel Maxwell

[email protected]

Electroejaculators were used in many of the studs for years and they are still available. I don;t know if they are still in use very much or not. The problem I heard of with using them was frequently a small amount of urine would be discharged with the semen and contaminate the sample. Don't know if there are any long term affects.

dun

> I am being told that the electro
> probe method of collecting a
> bull's semen can cause the bull to
> become sterile. What has been
> everyone's experience with the
> usage of this light electric shock
> to the prostate as a means of
> causing ejaculation and thus
> collection of semen? Have you seen
> any harmful effects to the bull as
> a result of this procedure? Thanks
> Mel Maxwell

[email protected]

I've done semen tests using an electroejaculator, and when collecting a bull for BSE, if the first go is not good, you have to do another two before you can declare him a dud. The males (vets) I worked with would go high power, get a quick response and then couldn't get the second or third as needed. I started off low, slowly increased the power and rarely got anywhere near their levels--and would be able to collect several times. Extrapolating from that, if done often at high levels, nerve damage is possible. BUT, this is no indication that the damage is lasting.

The fact is, prostatic massage isn't always successful, you don't always have the ability to tease and use an AV, and training a bull to mount a steer and breed the AV isn't something you're going to do for anything but (AI )collection anyway. They still use the electroejaculator at the vet colleges to BSE client's animals--and these guys write the books. I'd like to see data, not just heresay, against the practice before I'd stop doing BSEs.

JMHO V

Latest posts