Breeding Soundness Exam

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
I was looking at some yearling Hereford bulls the other day and bought one that was 13months old. He measured above average in scrotal circumference but when I took him for a semen test the vet said that he was still al little weak. He went on to say that it wasn't abnormal for a bull to test as he did at that age and that we would probably see a big difference when he hit 15 or 16 months. Is this correct? I bought the bull from a reputable breeder and I have used this vet for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Devin

Devin":s7ureyfd said:
I was looking at some yearling Hereford bulls the other day and bought one that was 13months old. He measured above average in scrotal circumference but when I took him for a semen test the vet said that he was still al little weak. He went on to say that it wasn't abnormal for a bull to test as he did at that age and that we would probably see a big difference when he hit 15 or 16 months. Is this correct? I bought the bull from a reputable breeder and I have used this vet for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Devin

Hard to figure out what you mean by "a little weak". Is the count (number of sperm) low or is the motility (aggressiveness of the sperm) subpar? At his age the motility should be normal but the count may be a little low. A good vet will also pass or fail him on the number of abnormal sperm also. I'm sure the breeder will stand behind him if he does not pass. Semen collected today was produced approx 60 days ago, he may have been under stress at that time. Time will tell for sure.

Devin":1se2n5yp said:
Thanks,

Devin
If you don't trust your vet for information and feel more comfortable with amature opinions from a discussion board, you maybe oughta find another vet.

our vet doesn't like to test them till 14 months of age. I took 2 born 2-25-04 in last week for BSE's and both were more than satisfactory. I think age and possibly proximity to females could affect the test, but if his % was pretty low or lots of abnormalities--it wouldn't be a bad idea to test him again before breeding.

we sell angus bulls. they are tested at 14 months. we keep our bulls right next to some hiefers that are cycling. the hiefers keep the bulls walking the fence. but the 2 strands of hot fence and 5 barb wire keep them on their side. we sold 10 this time and all checked good. like the vet said where the bull are kept is important.