breeding setup 2020

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
Last evening I began the breeding synchrony shots for my now small herd of cows...I don't have many any more but still want to breed them to great bulls....

I use the Michigan G6G protocol which no one uses because it involves six trips thru the chute over a nineteen day period....

the purpose is to breed all the cows at the same time which is important if I have to have someone come to the farm to do the breeding.....

I have always bred my own cows since the mid seventies but my rheumatoid arthritis has curtailed that for me....I can still do it but it is more difficult and more importantly I have less success....Last year my Son Jessee bred the cows using this protocol and we had great success.

no one uses the G6G protocol because they do not want to fight the cows thru the chute six times.....

I do not have that problem.....my cows were in the chute Thanksgiving weekend last year and then again 75 days later when Dr. Harris sexed the pregnancies.......that was the last time they saw the chute.

last night I opened the gate that leads to the cattle chute and had to step out of the way as my two year old heifer was headed toward the chute. Right behind her was 1600 lb Xena....I managed to get Xena not to run over me and turned her back.

I gave shots to all three cows and put tailhead chalk on them and never had to go into the pen....there was always a cow there waiting for her turn. even the beef steer...

some of you might be saying well he has pet cows....Xena and Diva will kick your lights out....not much petting them...but they are not wild....

the secret is my cows do not fear the chute....every time they go thru the chute for any reason they get a cup of grain....they remember the chute as a good thing and will walk over you to get to the chute.....it has been a year since they were in the chute and all three auto loaded....and they will bang on the headgate wanting me to hurry up and open it so they can eat.

yeah I guess it is too much work for an old man, but I try to work smarter not harder...

one other thing....the synchrony shots are supposed to be in the muscle.....I have not given a shot to anything in years in the muscle...I give all these synchrony shots Subcutaneously....and they still work fine....yep....I am still a contrarian....

JIM TATE

PIPE DREAM FARM

[email protected]

sounds like you have your herd well under control. My herd of 30 cows don't really mind going through the chute except for 2 first calf heifers last year. if they are the same this year, they may not be around next year. I use to put a slab or two of nice alfalfa hay for the cows when in the head catch. found it to be less messy.

I started doing this when we were breeding 40 cows and I was doing it all by myself..... and it has worked so well that it is second nature to me now years alter....

Good to hear from you. I don't have any trouble loading cows in the chute - but yearlings - uggggh. They are our trouble makers. They soon get the routine down. Can't get out of the barn except going thru the chute.

Latest posts